Janet WeedaAssistant Professor of Nursing
Janet Weeda joined the Hope College nursing faculty in 2012 to fill a maternity and women's health nursing position. She also teaches other courses including Pharmacology and Special Topics in Professional Nursing.
For four years, Janet has attended the Global Missions Health Conference in Louisville, Kentucky, as the faculty adviser for Hope students. She is currently the faculty adviser for the Hope College Nurses Christian Fellowship.
Janet has 22 years of hospital nursing experience with such roles as:
- Staff nurse
- Charge nurse
- Setting up an outpatient surgery unit
- Developing the role of the post-anesthesia care nurse
Before becoming a faculty member at Hope, Janet worked at various locations, including:
- Universitas Pelita Harapan, Lippo Village, Indonesia (2008–2012)
- Gallup McKinley Christian Hospital, Gallup, New Mexico (1994–2008)
- United States Naval Reserves, active duty (1986–1994)
- Portsmouth, Virginia
- Orlando, Florida
AREAS OF INTEREST
In 2008, Janet transitioned to nursing education. She hopes to help develop the next generations of nurses for roles in leadership, research and scholarship.
Janet hopes to soon begin a program leading to a Ph.D. in Nursing Education. She strongly believes that nursing education is in the process of change, and she would like to be a part of that process, helping to identify the means to positive change.
- M.S., nursing with a concentration in advanced practice in adult health nursing, University of New Mexico, 2000
- B.S., nursing, Trinity Christian College, Palos Heights, Illinois, 1986
Outside the College
Janet currently lives in Grandville, Michigan. She and her husband, Steve, have three children, two of whom are engineering majors at Hope College. She is a member of the community at Calvary Christian Reformed Church in Wyoming, Michigan.
Why Do You Like Hope?
Janet loves working at Hope College. She loves that the faculty and administration continually wrestle with what it means to be a liberal arts college in the context of the historic Christian faith. She believes that God calls us to be obedient, which requires constant diligence and struggle. In particular, Janet loves the students of Hope College and it is an honor to work with them.