Geoffrey D. Reynolds, director of the Joint Archives of Holland, has been elected the 19th president of the Michigan Archival Association.
The Michigan Archival Association, founded in 1958 by special collections librarians, university archivists, state records administrators and historical society members, is the oldest state or regional archival association in the United States. Since then, the Michigan Archival Association, which has more than 220 members, has evolved into the primary organization devoted to the archival community in Michigan.
Reynolds is serving a two-year term that started in June. As president, he is overseeing the planning of the association's annual meetings, publications, administration and membership.
Originally from Charlevoix, Reynolds has been the director of the Joint Archives of Holland with the rank of assistant professor at Hope College since July of 2001. He had previously served as the collections archivist since January of 1997.
He graduated from Wayne State University with a master's in library and information science (MLIS) and an archival administration certificate in 1995.
He has worked at various times for Infoflo as a records management specialist, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, the General Motors Media Archives, the Charlevoix Historical Society, and Little Caesar's Enterprises on its Detroit Tiger baseball club archival materials.
In addition to his position as president of the Michigan Archival Association, he currently serves as the treasurer of Dutch-American Historical Commission, on the board of the Association for the Advancement of Dutch American Studies and as a member of the Holland Rotary Club, and is the executive director of the Holland Area Historical Society.
The Joint Archives of Holland, which opened in 1988, brings together the archival collections of Hope College with those of the Holland Museum (Holland Historical Trust), Western Theological Seminary and other organizations that contract for archival services. The archives is located on the ground level of the college's Van Wylen Library.