Incoming first-year and transfer students are eligible to audition for a Distinguished Artist Award.
While acceptance into the dance department is on a rolling basis, students are highly encouraged to audition via the on-line portal by, or before, the audition deadline.
Distinguished artist award in dance
Each year we give $48,000 to talented artists through the Distinguished Artist Award. Students who are awarded a Distinguished Artist Award in Dance are not required to major or minor in dance, but are required to maintain a GPA of 2.6, enroll in a minimum of two dance classes per semester and participate in at least one dance performance annually.
The scholarship is $3,000 per year (totaling $12,000 over the course of four years) per student. You MUST apply to Hope College AND submit an audition application to be considered for this scholarship.
Only students who apply will be considered for the Distinguished Artist Award Scholarship (DAA).
Please call the dance department for additional information: 616.395.7700.
- Showcase Day
Experience the dance department faculty, students and performances on our Showcase Day, February 9, 2024.
- 8–8:30 a.m. — Check-in
- 8:30–10 a.m. — Master Class #1 - Ballet or Jazz (choose one)
- 10:30–11 a.m. — Chapel (optional)
- 11 a.m.–12 p.m. — Lunch with dance faculty and students
- 12:10–1:30 p.m. — Master Class #2 - Tap or Modern (choose one)
- 1:30–3 p.m. — Master Class #3 - Hip Hop or Improvisation (choose one)
- 3–4 p.m. — Informational meeting and dance student panel
- 4–7:30 p.m. — Free time to explore Hope College and downtown Holland
- 7:30 p.m. — Dance 50 performance (complimentary tickets will be supplied at check-in)
*Check-in will take place in the Dow Center (168 E. 13th St. Holland, MI 49423). Please park in the parking lot across from the Dow Center or on the street.
**Parents: An additional Anchor Day schedule will be provided to you upon check-in. You are welcome to attend any of the Anchor Day events while your dancer is participating in the various master classes.
- Audition Deadline
Video audition submission deadline is February 18, 2024. There will be no in-person auditions.
All auditioners will be notified early in March 2024.
- Information Required
- Head shot
- Please supply one letter of recommendation (professional dance field preferred)
- A one-page essay addressing: What is it about the dance program at Hope that interests and excites you?
- A video (no more than 10 minutes) showcasing your training in the studio and performance. If you train in multiple techniques/dance forms, please showcase as many as you feel comfortable with.
- A video of you answering the following questions:
- What excites you about the Hope College Department of Dance?
- What personal strengths will you bring to the Department of Dance?
- What is one area of improvement you would like to work on in your dance training?