Students majoring or minoring in mathematics can choose from a variety of programs
to fit their individual needs.
Students can choose from the following major programs:
- Bachelor of Arts in mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in mathematics
- Mathematics for secondary teachers
- Mathematics for elementary teachers
Students can also pursue a general mathematics minor, or a minor directed toward secondary education or elementary education. There is also a recommended sequence of courses for students who hope to pursue a career as an actuary.
For a more detailed description of these major and minor programs, see the mathematics section of the Hope College catalog. Questions about any of our courses or programs can be directed to the department chair, Aaron Cinzori, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample Schedule Plans
The following schedule plans meet the requirements of our major and minor programs. These plans assume that students start in Math 131: Calculus I. Students receiving AP credit or transfer credit for courses in our major will likely start at a different point.
- Schedule plan for B.A. in mathematics
- Schedule plan for B.S. in mathematics
- Schedule plan for a B.A. in mathematics secondary education
- Schedule plan for a B.A. in mathematics elementary education
- Schedule plan for a minor in mathematics secondary education
- Schedule plan for a minor in mathematics elementary education
A mathematics minor consists of 19 credits in mathematics chosen from a set list of courses. A minor often includes Math 131 (Calculus 1), Math 132 (Calculus 2), Math 231 (Multivariable Mathematics 1), Math 232 (Multivariable Mathematics 2) and mathematics courses with a number of 280 or above (excluding Math 323 and 324).
VanderWerf Hall27 Graves PlaceRoom 204Holland, MI 49423