Gain a realistic, first-hand perspective of day-to-day work life in various fields as you explore possible internships or careers.
DiscoverWork connects you with alumni, friends or employer partners of Hope College who share their career experiences, lessons learned and professional tips for landing a job or internship in their industries.
These short-term, unpaid opportunities to meet with or shadow professionals are different from an internship. They typically last 1–2 days, but may last longer.
These opportunities take place all over the United States and are offered every year. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for important dates and timelines. The DiscoverWork program is not for academic credit and students are not compensated.
Phase 1: Host Recruitment/Join the Program in The Hope College Connection
Phase 2: Student applications accepted
Phase 3: Program administrator facilitates matching students and hosts
Phase 4: Students and hosts notified
Phase 5: Shadowing takes place
Phase 6: Follow-up and feedback
- STUDENT SELECTION
Although DiscoverWork opportunities are not guaranteed, we encourage all Hope College students to apply! We recommend that you apply for more than one opportunity; however, you must only apply for opportunities that you are willing and able to complete. By applying, you are committing to participate in that particular opportunity if you are matched with the host. Withdrawing from the program after you’ve been matched is strongly discouraged.
Previous experience is not required to participate because this program is designed for career exploration. If you are not placed the first time around, please be sure to apply for future opportunities.
For more information, please check out our DiscoverWork Student Guide.
- TYPICAL ACTIVITIES
- Attend company staff meetings
- Assist with projects or complete office tasks
- Conduct informational interviews with staff members
- Observe client interactions and the functions and duties of a particular career
- Tour the facilities
- Review organization’s mission/vision statement and organizational charts
- Understand office policies and procedures
- Review current trends in the profession
- Explore potential career paths within the organization and the profession
- Meet with key players of the organization
- APPLICATION PROCESS
- Learn more in The Hope College Connection.
- Transportation, Housing and Financial Considerations
- Students assume all costs for program participation, including transportation to and from the DiscoverWork site, accommodations and meals. Some hosts are willing to let a student stay in their home; this will be indicated in their description. However, scholarships may be available to assist with program costs. Please take all this into consideration when applying for specific opportunities.
- Host Information
Serving as a DiscoverWork host gives you a unique opportunity to connect with current Hope College students and influence their career development and discernment in a real way. You have a chance to meet potential new talent for future summer interns and full-time employees and increase the exposure of your company and career field/industry. In some cases you will get the chance to help a student discern their major.
You must work in a place of business to participate. Students cannot shadow hosts in a private home office. We do not offer international opportunities at this time.
The number of students you host is up to you. You will indicate your preference on the registration form. Because the opportunities take place over the course of the spring semester, some hosts may choose to host more than one student at varying times.
The number of hosts and student applicants varies each year, so we cannot always guarantee a match but do our best to provide opportunities for hosts to participate in the DiscoverWork program.
Need more information or ideas for your shadow? Here's the DiscoverWork Host Guide.
DeWitt Student Cultural Center141 East 12th StreetSuite 136Holland, MI 49423