Data Use Policy (“Data Bill of Rights”)
“The more data you have to look at, the more data you have to look at.”
- We will only gather data which we are legally allowed to obtain.
- We will only gather data that we don’t already have.
- We will only gather data for which we have an explicit, planned use.
- We will only gather data from reliable sources.
- We will only gather data when we have a confirmation process created to verify its accuracy.
- We will only gather data when we have built a mechanism to verify its timeliness (when it was obtained, when we re-verify its accuracy).
- We will display all data that we currently have.
- We will verify data past its expiration date.
- We will update data only from those sources who are permitted to make changes.
- We will update our records when opportunities exist (i.e. as the result of a contact).
- We will contact the fewest number of people we can each time we use data.
- We won’t share data that doesn’t need to be shared or published.
- We will not keep data past its useful or legal life.
Computing and Information Technology
Durfee Hall110 East 10th StreetHolland, MI 49423