H.P. Scholte Sesquicentennial Conference, 1868–2018
This conference will focus on the history and legacy of Scholte and his community in the Netherlands and the United States.
We will seek to understand the distinctive leadership of Scholte in the context of that time period, considering features like the separation of church and state, expanding mobility, democratization and education.
Five organizations and institutions are sponsoring the conference:
- Central College in Pella
- The Historical Documentation Center for Dutch Protestantism, partner of the Amsterdam Centre for Religious History at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Pella Historical Society
- The A.C. Van Raalte Institute, Hope College, Holland, Michigan
- Theological University Kampen
The conference will be held at the Pella Opera House on August 16–18, 2018. The conference proceedings will be published.
call for papers
The sponsors invite papers on the following or related topics:
- Scholte’s Lutheran background
- His secession from the Reformed Church in the Netherlands
- His personal life, marriage, character, family and friends
- His financial resources
- His relation to the Reveil movement
- His journalism
- His ecclesiastical leadership in the Netherlands and the United States
- His preaching
- His political ideas
- His role in Dutch and American politics
- His immigration
- The variety of his functions in the immigrant community in Pella
- His theology and church polity
- His library
- His fit in the American theological scene
- His correspondence
- His individualism
- His comparison with other (Dutch) immigrant leaders
- How he is remembered in the Netherlands and in the United States in historiography and in fiction
- His representation in pictures and photos
- The Scholte house as cultural heritage
- Other topics connected with Dominie Scholte’s work and life
Deadline for abstract
February 1, 2018. Acceptance will be notified by March 1, 2018.
All abstracts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Proposals should include a 250-word abstract and title, as well as the author’s name, address, telephone number, email address and institutional affiliation.
Theil Research Center9 East 10th StreetHolland, MI 49423