Visiting Research Fellows
Since 2003 we have hosted over 15 Visiting Research Fellows and presented their lectures. Topics have ranged from disease and death in the early colony to the missionary work of the Luidens in Iraq in the 1940s.
We invite applications from qualified scholars for a fellowship offered through the Visiting Research Fellows Program. Up to two fellowships per academic year, each normally for up to 10 weeks, will be awarded. Regular members of the Hope College faculty may be appointed for up to one semester of the academic year.
Criteria for selection of Fellows
Proposals for support must demonstrate that:
- The proposed research fits the mission statement of the Van Raalte Institute
- The scholar is qualified to conduct such research
- The resources of the institute and the Joint Archives of Holland are essential
Visiting Fellows are provided research space at the Theil Research Center, the home of both the Van Raalte Institute and the Joint Archives of Holland. We will also make available the resources of the VRI, such as copying and Wi-Fi. Housing is not provided as part of the fellowship, but the institute will assist in the location of suitable housing at a modest rate.
The Van Raalte Institute expects that each Fellow will:
- Work on the project outlined in the proposal that was the basis for his or her selection
- Present a lecture, reporting on the results of her or his work, at a colloquium for faculty, interested students and the general public
- Submit this lecture in manuscript form for publication and distribution by the institute
- Submit a brief written report at the end of the fellowship, describing work accomplished during his or her tenure at the institute
- Acknowledge the support of the Van Raalte Institute in any publication(s) resulting from the fellowship
- Provide the institute with a copy of any further publication(s) resulting from his or her tenure at the institute
Theil Research Center9 East 10th StreetHolland, MI 49423