|hope college > student activities > intramural sports|
Women's 3-Player Volleyball Rules
Minimum roster size: 2
1. Each member of the team shall serve in turn and may, if requested, have one trial to get the ball over the net at the start of the first game.
2. The server shall stand with both feet behind the right rear boundary line and may not step on or over the end boundary line until after the serve has been hit.
3. No tips in front of the 10' line. A tip that lands in the 10' line will result in a sideout, including an accidental set that goes over (if untouched by the opponent). If they decide to block, or play it, the ball remains live. A ball that is swung at as a hit and goes in front of the 10' line is a legal hit.
4. If a player touches the ball, or the ball touches a player, he/she is considered as having played the ball.
5. It is legal to contact the ball with any part of the body above the waist as long as the ball rebounds immediately and does not "lay" against the body.
6. It is permissible to run out-of-bounds and play a ball before it contacts an object out-of-bounds. Once a ball contacts any object other than a player out-of-bounds, it is considered dead.
7. When a ball touches a boundary line, it is consideredgood.
8. Players are not permitted to scoop, hold, or lift the ball. The ball must be clearly hit.
9. A ball touching the body more than once in succession is considered as a double hit and is illegal.
10. A ball is kept in play if it hits the net and goes over into the opponent's court during the volley (but not on the serve).
11. A ball hit into the net by a team may still be kept in play provided that the net is not touched by any player and that they have not hit the ball three times.
12. One may play the ball twice during a volley, but not twice in succession, unless played directly off a block.
13. If two players contact the ball simultaneously, it counts as two hits and either may play the next shot.
14. The ball must be returned over the net in three hits or less.
15. Players may not touch the net. If both sides touch the net simultaneously, the ball is declared dead and served again.
16. A spiker must contact the ball on his own side of the net, but may in the course of his follow-through cross over but not touch the net.
17. Best 2 out of 3. First team to 25 points wins the game. RALLY SCORING IS USED. Rally scoring means points are won on either team's serve. If a 3rd set is required, it will be to 15 points.
18. Rotation shall be in a clockwise direction.
19. Each player shall remain in his position on the court until the service is completed.
20. Each team is permitted two team time-outs per game. The length of the time-out is 30 seconds. Time-outs must be requested of the other team's captain. Requests may only be made when the ball is dead.
21. Substitutes will be included in the order of rotation. Rotate in at the center back position on the change of service. Previous server rotates out. If both captains agree prior to start, teams may use asub procedure.
22. Rest periods between games of a match shall be two minutes.
23. A match in volleyball is complete when one team wins two complete games. IF THE THIRD GAME IS NECESSARY, the first team to 15 points wins the match using rally scoring.
24. Choice of side or serve is determined by a coin flip. Winner gets choice of either. The receiving team of the first game serves the second game and then receives again if a third game is played.
25. Service: The ball must be tossed or released and must be hit with one hand only. The server may let the ball drop to the ground once during a serving session.
26. Rotation: Each team must always rotate prior to serving -- except on the first serve of the game.
27. Four touches are allowed only if the first touch by the team was a blocking touch.
28. Blockers may reach over the net, but may not contact the ball until it has been directed toward the blocker's side. However, the blocker may not spike down while reaching over the net.
29. Any player may block or spike.
30. Balls hitting the ceiling, overhang, or objects hanging from the ceiling on your side of the net, play it. If it hits the ceiling or hanging object on the way over the net, it is out-of-bounds.
31. PROTESTS: All protests must be made in writing and presented to the Dow office according to IM Protest Rules #38-41 in the IM Handbook, pages 12-13.
32. PARTICIPATION RULES: All teams are expected to follow IM Participation Rules. As a reminder, for Women's 3-Player Volleyball, only ONE former Hope player may be on the court at a time. There may be more on any given roster, but those players must be designated on the team roster, and only ONE former player can be on the court at any given time.
33. SPORTSMANSHIP RULES: IM Rule #36 will be strictly enforced. Rosters will be checked regularly. Unsportsmanlike action will NOT be tolerated!