The George F. Baker Scholars Program develops students’ leadership potential.
The Baker Scholars Program is dedicated to developing students' business-leadership potential. In conjunction
with the Department of Economics and Business, the program focuses on three interrelated
sets of activities — exposure to business leaders, hands-on leadership experiences,
and personal leadership development.
Baker Scholars are upper-level students majoring in economics, business or accounting and are selected through a rigorous application process consisting of both written and interview elements. Bakers work to achieve our key program objectives:
LEADERSHIP EXPOSURE — Participate in department-initiated trips that provide exposure to business leaders in various firms and industries (locally and globally). Visit cities such as Chicago, Seattle, Tokyo, London and more.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT — Engage in opportunities for leadership development through mentoring, self reflection, character development and personal growth.
LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE — Put your skills to use and participate in a consequential leadership project with a real client - developing skills in leadership, teamwork, strategy and more.
To be considered for selection to the Baker Scholars Program, student applicants must be:
- A Hope College sophomore with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 for your first four semesters.
- A declared major in business, accounting or economics. All accounting and business majors must have completed 3 out of the following 4 classes (with a C or higher): ACCT 221, BUS 222, ECON 211 or ECON 212. All economics majors must have completed ECON 211 and ECON 212 (with a C or higher).
- Dedicated to pursuing a career in business.
- Willing and able to actively participate in the Baker Scholars Program for the next two years. (Planned participation in an off-campus semester will not disqualify you for consideration, but it is helpful for the selectors to know if this is in your plans since it may affect the number of students selected.)
- All applicants must be sophomores going into their junior year (based on both credit hours and the date you began college). Applicants that entered college after fall 2020 will not be considered.
Van Zoeren Hall41 Graves PlaceHolland, MI 49423