The George F. Baker Scholars Program develops students’ leadership potential.
The Baker Scholars Program is dedicated to developing students' business-leadership potential. In conjunction
with the Department of Economics and Business, the program focuses on three interrelated
sets of activities — exposure to business leaders and centers of commerce, leadership
experiences, and personal leadership development — to empower students to more effectively
discern, develop and employ their gifts and calling.
Baker Scholars are upper-level students majoring in economics, business or accounting and are selected through a rigorous application process consisting of both written and interview elements. Bakers work to achieve our key program objectives:
LEADERSHIP EXPOSURE — Participate on department-initiated trips that promote key firm relationships around the globe. Help your peers experience first-hand connections with business professionals and centers of commerce.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT — Come together with other student leaders in the economics and business department and be challenged in leadership-development topics. Engage in opportunities for mentoring, self reflection, character development and personal growth.
LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE — Put your skills to use and participate in a consequential leadership project: consult with a non-profit organization or support strategic departmental initiatives.
To be considered for selection to the Baker Scholars Program, student applicants must be:
- A Hope College sophomore with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 for your first three semesters.
- A declared major in business, accounting or economics.
- Dedicated to pursuing a career in business.
- Willing and able to actively participate in the Baker Scholars Program for the next two years. (Planned participation in an off-campus semester will not disqualify you for consideration, but it is helpful for the selectors to know if this is in your plans since it may affect the number of students selected.)
- All applicants must be sophomores going into their junior year (based on both credit hours and the date you began college). Applicants that entered college after fall 2018 will not be considered.
Applications for the Baker Scholar Program are posted mid-February with selection day generally being mid-April.