TO QUALIFY FOR AN ELEMENTARY OR SECONDARY TEACHING CERTIFICATE*, YOU MUST:
- Complete all general education requirementsfor the B.S., B.A. or B.M. degree at Hope College.
- Complete the Teacher Education Programcoursework and field experiences, including student teaching.
- Complete the requirements for a major and minorapproved by the Education Department and affirmed by the Michigan Department of Education.
- Maintain a minimum GPAof 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in:
- Overall coursework at Hope College
- Coursework in major area of study
- Coursework in minor area of study
- Coursework in the Teacher Education Program
- Pass the required Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC)in appropriate areas.
- Hold valid CPR and First Aid certification at the time of application for Michigan teacher certification.
*State of Michigan requirements for teacher certification are subject to periodic change. Students must meet all requirements in effect at the time of application.
MICHIGAN TESTS FOR TEACHER CERTIFICATION (MTTC)
In order to meet Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) requirements mandated by the State of Michigan for teacher education candidates,
all elementary track students:
- Must pass the Elementary Education exam (Test #103).
- Are encouraged to take relevant major and minor subject area exams. These are optional but are strongly recommended for marketability purposes and in order to earn certification to teach at the middle school level (grades 6–8).
all secondary track students:
- Must pass exams in both major and minor (or double major) areas of study, with the exception of music education, visual arts education and integrated science majors at the secondary level that do not require a minor. View the MTTC list of subject test selections.
Don’t attempt these exams until you’ve completed 90% of coursework in each subject area. Most students take the test immediately preceding or during student teaching. Registration, test objectives and study guides are available on the MTTC website.
Van Zoeren Hall41 Graves PlaceRoom 288Holland, MI 49423