In addition to the Teacher Education Program, which will prepare you as a teacher, you’ll specialize in teaching one or more subject areas at a secondary level.
After you’ve completed Level 1 coursework and been formally admitted to the Teacher Education Program, you’ll pursue certification in secondary education. As a secondary education candidate, you will:
- Complete Level 2 and 3 coursework and clinical experiences for the Teacher Education Program.
- Complete coursework in a major and a minor.
- Pursue any additional minors or endorsements.
Click the links below to download major and minor course requirements for each subject area offered through the Secondary Education track.
Hope College offers a K–12 endorsement in teaching English as a Second Language to all elementary and secondary track students. Earning this 22 credit-hour endorsement and completing MTTC Test 086 certifies you to teach in an ESL classroom setting, enhancing your marketability. Coursework is in addition to requirements for your major and minor and cannot be declared as a stand-alone minor. Download the ESL course requirement worksheet.
All program requirements must be completed for students to be recommended for a teaching certificate in the State of Michigan.
To qualify for a secondary teaching certificate, you must:*
- Complete all general education requirements for the B.S., B.A. or B.M. degree at Hope College.
- Complete the Teacher Education Program coursework and field experiences, including student teaching.
- Complete the requirements for a major and minor approved by the Education Department and affirmed by the Michigan Department of Education.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in:
- Overall coursework at Hope College
- Coursework in major area of study
- Coursework in minor area of study
- Coursework in the Teacher Education Program
- Pass the required Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in appropriate areas.
- Hold valid CPR and First Aid certification at the time of application for Michigan teacher certification.
*State of Michigan requirements for teacher certification are subject to periodic change. Students must meet all requirements in effect at the time of application.
Michigan Tests for Teacher Certification (MTTC)
In order to meet Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) requirements mandated by the State of Michigan for teacher education candidates, all secondary-track students must pass exams in both major and minor (or double major) areas of study, with the exception of music education, visual arts education and integrated science majors at the secondary level that do not require a minor. View the MTTC list of subject test selections.
Don’t attempt these exams until you’ve completed 90% of coursework in each subject area. Most students take the test immediately preceding or during student teaching. Registration, test objectives and study guides are available on the MTTC website.
Van Zoeren Hall41 Graves PlaceRoom 288Holland, MI 49423