English Language Acquisition Program (ELAP)
The English Language Acquisition Program (ELAP) is a three-week intensive English language course given before the school year starts.
This program is designed to give exchange students the opportunity to brush up on their English ahead of their stay, or for students at our global partner institutions who want a short-term course to improve their English language skills. We also welcome incoming degree-seeking students who have already been accepted to Hope who may require additional English assistance.
- Program Dates: July 29 to August 20, 2020 (tentative)
- Approximate Cost: $3,000 (USD)
- Minimum TOEFL Requirement
- 65 - iBT (internet-based test)
- 183 - cBT (computer-based test)
- 513 - pBT (paper-based test)
The ELAP program is open to international students who have been admitted to Hope
College and to short-term or exchange students from our Global Partner institutions.
Please submit the following materials via email to the Center for Global Engagement:
- ELAP Application Form
- Academic Transcript
- Official TOEFL Score Report
Please email email@example.com for more information
- Program Highlights
- 15 hours per week of intense, in-class English instruction (plus other unique opportunities to practice your English outside of class)
- Weekly volunteer opportunities at local non-profit organizations
- Weekly travel to explore West Michigan through the arts, nature, cuisine and sports
- Weekend trips in Michigan to explore places such as Sleeping Bear Dunes and Mackinac Island, and an opportunity to visit Chicago, Illinois
- Interaction with an American host family
- Our Philosophy
- Studying English should be intense and comprehensive, yet also fun and dynamic. ELAP is designed for exchange students from partner institutions and for international students who have been admitted to Hope College who would benefit from intensive English language instruction.
Students accepted into ELAP will be issued a program fee invoice. All students accepted into the program will be met at the Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR) in Grand Rapids, Michigan, by a program associate.
Please note: Admission to ELAP is not admission to Hope College.
- Program Costs
- The $3,000 (USD) program fee includes instructional costs, room, board, books, activities, local transportation and weekend trips to Chicago and Northern Michigan. It also includes a shuttle to and from the Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR) in Grand Rapids, Michigan, upon arrival and departure. It does not include airfare, medical insurance or personal spending money. As an accepted student, you’ll be expected to pay the ELAP program fee prior to arriving at Hope College.
- Experience Hope’s Campus
Explore Michigan! Trip
We’re very proud of our home state of Michigan and we want to show it off! As part of the ELAP program, you’ll visit Lake Michigan on day trips, explore cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Detroit, and spend a weekend kayaking and hiking at Sleeping Bear Dunes. We’ll also take trips to visit an Amish community in Indiana and the great city of Chicago.
Room and Board
You’ll be housed in pairs on the Hope College campus. Each residence hall offers a computer lab, TV lounge and laundry facilities. You’ll be provided with three meals a day in the Hope College dining hall. Students are also encouraged to participate in the host family program, which includes regular visits with an American family during the program durations and a weekend stay.
An integral part of ELAP is to provide you with volunteer opportunities in the local community to apply your language skills in a nonacademic environment. Every week, we will spend at least two hours learning about local organizations making a difference in the community. Examples of volunteer opportunities include working at a homeless shelter, serving in a soup kitchen, playing soccer with migrant children and working with other youth organizations.