Bruce BenedictChaplain of Worship and Arts
Bruce Benedict has been the chaplain of worship arts within the Campus Ministries office since June 2014. He leads a team of 25 students that care for music and tech at worship services in Dimnent Chapel, including Chapel services on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and Gathering services on Sunday nights. Bruce also teaches a class for Hope College’s ministry minor.
- M.Div., Reformed Theological Seminary, 2003
- B.A., James Madison University, 2000
Bruce is the founder and creative director of Cardiphonia Music, which resources the greater church with worship music and liturgical resources.
He has been a pastor and worship leader in churches in Indianapolis, Indiana; London, England; and Raleigh, North Carolina.
HONORS, GRANTS, AWARDS & PUBLISHED WORK
- Songwriting Commission, “Jude, the Obscure” for Burning Coal Theatre, composer, $5,000 (2011–2012)
- Worship Renewal Grant, Christ the King Presbyterian Church in Raleigh, NC from Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Grand Rapids, Michigan. $7,800 (2011–2012)
- Psalms Colloquium, Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Grand Rapids, Michigan, $1,000 (2010)
- Worship Renewal Grant, Christ the King Presbyterian Church in Raleigh, North Carolina, from Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Grand Rapids, Michigan, $10,500 (2009–2010)
- Pastoral Study Bursary, Evangelical Library, London, England, £500 (2008)
- Vertical Habits Grant, Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Grand Rapids, Michigan. $2,500 (2006)
- Fast Track Arts Grant, Indianapolis Cultural Development Commission, Indianapolis, Indiana, $10,000 (2005, 2006)
- Worship Renewal Grant, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Indianapolis, Indiana, from Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Grand Rapids, Michigan. $15,000 (2004–2005)
Why do you love Hope?
From the caliber of the students Hope attracts, to the love and acumen of its professors, to the care that the staff give to the learning and living environment, Bruce finds a palpable since of joy and beauty at Hope. Hope calls out from strength to strength, and the spirit is very attractive and palpable to new people. Bruce loves hanging out with the students and getting to worship in gorgeous gothic Dimnent chapel four times a week.
The only problem Bruce has with Hope is the embarrassment of riches!
Outside the College
Outside of Hope, Bruce stays busy enjoying Holland with his wife and two young children. Bruce and his wife perform around the country with Urban Garden Performing Arts and are strong foster care advocates for Allegan County.