High-school students entering grades 9–12 gather to explore faith, worship and the arts.
AWAKENING IX – 2024
Where God’s Spirit meets with a group of people in such a profound way that it opens their eyes to God’s activity in the world, renews and gives vision to their sense of purpose and calling, and marks their lives forever.
Join other students in grades 9–12 to learn about worship, develop your gifts in the arts and lead worship at the end of the week in the Festival of Worship.
Why Attend Awakening?
If you’re a high school student going into grades 9–12 seeking to grow your skills and passions about worship and the arts, this is the week for you.
Are you a musician, an actor, an artist, a dancer, a sound technician or a philosopher? Take this opportunity to develop your gifts — and perhaps discover gifts you never realized.
Join us on the beautiful campus of Hope College in Holland, Michigan, to work with nationally known pastors, ministry leaders, professors, church musicians, artists, dancers and technical arts specialists.
This will be a time to grow and learn more about yourself and your God. To see God for who he is. To build relationships. To change the lives of others and, in turn, your own.
Develop your gifts in the Worship Arts
- Acoustic guitar
- Lead guitar
- Bass guitar
- Percussion/Drum set
- Liturgical dance
- Technology (sound)
- Worship planning
Individual students entering grades 9–12 are encouraged to attend, but you are also welcome to come with friends if you choose. Together or individually, you will return to your church, youth ministry and school prepared to make a difference for God in the lives of others.
The sense of Christian community will be rich and God-inspired!
- Awakening VIII (2023) — We were blessed with 48 students from four states, including California, who developed their gifts in the worship arts and bonded deeply together through worship and small groups.
Awakening VII (2022) — We hosted 47 high school students from seven different states for an amazing experience of witnessing God’s presence in our midst.
- Awakening VI (2021) — We were able to be in-person this year with 35 high school students from three different states. Zero cases of Covid! Praise God!
- Awakening V (2020) – Due to COVID, students met online each Sunday in June and met online throughout the year on the first Sunday of each month
- Awakening IV (2019) – 55 students from five states
- Awakening III (2018) – 54 students from five states
- Awakening II (2017) – 40 high school students from five states
- Awakening I (2016) – 20 students from four states
The Awakening has collaborated with The Invitation to begin a new podcast. In the first episode Josh engages a group of the Awakening students to consider the unique gift of a teenager’s spiritual journey.
Come back for a second, third or fourth year. Most students do! If you've graduated from high school and are coming to Hope, be an apprentice! Graduating high-school seniors who have been a part of Awakening in the past and are headed to Hope in the fall can become paid student interns after their freshman year at Hope.
Interested in worship?
Whether you want to explore your vocation in worship or the arts, or simply want to
become a better worshipper, Awakening is for you.
Prof. James De Boer
Director of Awakening
Miller Center for Musical Arts221 Columbia AvenueHolland, MI 49423
The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.Frederick Buechner