General Library Policies
Lost and Found
The library’s Lost and Found is located at the main circulation desk. Items turned in are kept for two weeks, then sent to the college Lost and Found at Campus Safety. The library is not responsible for any items left in the library at any time.
Food and Drink
Library users may enjoy snacks and beverages in the Van Wylen Library. However, food and drink pose a potential risk to library collections, equipment and furnishings. We therefore ask that you act responsibly when consuming food and drink in the library.
- Beverages may be brought into the library if they are in a covered drink container such as a covered coffee mug or sports cup
- Please limit aromatic and messy foods (pizza, salads, soup, etc.) to the Cup & Chaucer lounge area; groups and classes may arrange to bring food into the Granberg Room
- Be considerate of other library users and Hope custodial staff
- Clean up after yourself
- Report spills immediately to the Circulation Desk
- Dispose of trash properly
Smoking and Tobacco
Per Hope College policy, use of tobacco in any form inside the building is prohibited, including cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Chewing tobacco is also banned in the library. In compliance with the College Smoking Policy, there must be a 25-foot buffer between smokers and all buildings, vents and doorways.