Minimum roster size: 4
Maximum roster size: 12
In women's volleyball, only one former Hope player may be on the court at a time. There may be more on any given roster, but those players must be designated on the team roster, and only one former player can be on the court at any given time.
- Choice of side or serve is determined by a coin flip. Winner gets choice of either. The receiving team of the first game serves the second game and then receives again if a third game is played.
- Each team is permitted two team time-outs per game. The length of the time-out is 30 seconds. Time-outs must be requested of the other team's captain. Requests may only be made when the ball is dead.
- Rest periods between games of a match shall be two minutes.
- Each member of the team shall serve in turn and may, if requested, have one trial to get the ball over the net at the start of the first game.
- The server shall stand with both feet behind the right rear boundary line and may not step on or over the end boundary line until after the serve has been hit.
- The ball must be tossed or released and must be hit with one hand only. The server may let the ball drop to the ground once during a serving session.
- When a ball touches a boundary line, it is considered good.
- It is permissible to run out-of-bounds and play a ball before it contacts an object out-of-bounds. Once a ball contacts any object other than a player out-of-bounds, it is considered dead.
- If the ball hits the ceiling, overhang or objects hanging from the ceiling on your side of the net, play it. If it hits the ceiling or hanging object on the way over the net, it is out-of-bounds.
- Each team must always rotate prior to serving, except on the first serve of the game.
- Rotation shall be in a clockwise direction.
- Substitutes will be included in the order of rotation. Rotate in at the center back position on the change of service and the previous server rotates out. If both captains agree prior to start, teams may use a sub procedure.
- Each player shall remain in his position on the court until the service is completed.
- The ball must be returned over the net in three hits or less.
- If two players contact the ball simultaneously, it counts as two hits and either may play the next shot.
- Players are not permitted to scoop, hold or lift the ball. The ball must be clearly hit.
- If a player touches the ball, or the ball touches a player, he/she is considered as having played the ball.
- It is legal to contact the ball with any part of the body above the waist as long as the ball rebounds immediately and does not "lay" against the body.
- A ball touching the body more than once in succession is considered as a double hit and is illegal.
Blocking and Spiking
- Any player may block or spike.
- Blockers may reach over the net, but may not contact the ball until it has been directed toward the blocker's side. However, the blocker may not spike down while reaching over the net.
- Four touches are allowed only if the first touch by the team was a blocking touch.
- A spiker must contact the ball on his own side of the net, but may in the course of his follow-through cross over but not touch the net.
- One may play the ball twice during a volley, but not twice in succession, unless played directly off a block.
- No tips in front of the 10' line. A tip that lands in the 10' line will result in a sideout, including an accidental set that goes over (if untouched by the opponent). If they decide to block, or play it, the ball remains live. A ball that is swung at as a hit and goes in front of the 10' line is a legal hit.
- Players may not touch the net. If both sides touch the net simultaneously, the ball is declared dead and served again.
- A ball hit into the net by a team may still be kept in play provided that the net is not touched by any player and that they have not hit the ball three times.
- A ball is kept in play if it hits the net and goes over into the opponent's court during the volley (but not on the serve).
- Rally scoring is used, meaning points are won on either team's serve.
- Best 2 out of 3 sets. First team to 25 points wins the set.
- If a third set is required, it will be to 15 points.
All protests must be made in writing and presented to the Dow office according to IM protest rules in the IM Handbook.
All teams are expected to follow IM participation rules. As a reminder, for women's volleyball, only one former Hope player may be on the court at a time. There may be more on any given roster, but those players must be designated on the team roster, and only one former player can be on the court at any given time.
No black-soled shoes allowed on the gym floor.
IM sportsmanship rules will be strictly enforced. Rosters will be checked regularly. Unsportsmanlike action will not be tolerated!
- One no show will put your team on probation. Once on probation, either one additional now show or one forfeit will remove your team from competition.
- Additional players may be added up to game time on the day of your scheduled event using the roster addition form. Email email@example.com with questions.
Dow Center168 East 13th StreetHolland, MI 49423