Your transcript is the official documentation of your record at Hope College. Official transcripts can be requested in paper or electronic form.
Unofficial transcripts can be printed from plus.hope.edu.
- Your handwritten signature is required for each new transcript request.
- Transcripts will not be released if you have a financial obligation with Hope.
- A valid photo ID is required to pick up transcripts.
- 1–2 business days are needed to process your request. Processing time may increase during registration week, holidays and at the end of each semester.
- For electronic transcripts, your written authorization form must be submitted before your transcript will be processed and delivered. Our 1–2 business day processing timeframe begins once your authorization form has been received and approved.
- If you attended any time prior to August 1984, you do not have access to an electronic transcript — you can request a paper transcript.
- Transcripts will not be processed during campus shutdown (the week between Christmas and New Year’s).
- Hope cannot guarantee mail delivery time, so allow ample time for arrival.
- OFFICIAL PAPER TRANSCRIPTS
To request an official paper transcript, complete a transcript request form with your handwritten (not typed) signature. Your signature is required because transcripts contain confidential information such as courses and grades. Complete one form for each third-party recipient. If you'd like transcripts for yourself, indidate that on the form.
Official paper transcripts are free to process and mail via USPS first class. There are additional charges for expediting shipping, listed below.
To make processing go as quickly as possible, we limit the number of transcripts you can request to yourself at one time to 5. If you need more, you can always request them later.
Return the form to us by email to email@example.com, in person, fax or mail. If you don’t have a scanner to email your signed form, you can use a smart phone to take a picture of the form. Please make sure the picture is of high enough quality for us to read. If you fax your transcript request, we recommend you call to verify your request was received.
If you need your transcript to include your final grades and/or degree, check the appropriate box on your request form. We will process your transcript as soon as we can once all of your grades have been received and/or all graduation requirements are met and your degree awarded.
Special forms or attachments should be included with your submitted transcript request form, so that we can process them together.
RELEASE AND PACKAGING OF PAPER TRANSCRIPTS
Each official paper transcript is individually sealed, printed with the Registrar's signature, and packaged in its own envelope.
All paper transcripts that you request to yourself will be stamped "Issued to Student." If you are receiving your own transcript and plan to pass it onto another party, it must remain in the sealed inside envelope in order to be considered official. Some recipients will not accept transcripts stamped "Issued to Student," so it is your responsibility to find that out prior to requesting transcripts.
If you need someone else to pick up your paper transcript for you, specify their legal name on your transcript request in the indicated box. They will be required to show a valid ID at pick up.
- OFFICIAL ELECTRONIC TRANSCRIPTS
Hope College is partnered with Credentials, Inc. to process and deliver official electronic transcript orders. Credentials charges a $3 fee for processing electronic transcripts; Hope does not charge an additional fee. Orders can be placed with Credentials here.
Electronic transcripts are only available if you attended after August 1984. If you attended any time prior to August 1984, we cannot provide an electronic transcript for you, since our data was stored differently during that time. You will need to request an official paper transcript.
Emailing a transcript is not the same as electronic delivery. Hope does not email transcripts, as that renders the transcript unofficial, and it is not a secure method. If you would like an unofficial transcript, read more below in the "Unofficial Transcripts" section.
When placing an order for electronic transcripts, note that you should not use the back arrow on your internet browser. This will cause your order to be canceled. Instead, use the links provided on the site (Next, Previous, Cancel this Recipient, etc.).
A hand-signed authorization form is required for each order you place with Credentials. It must be submitted to them before we can process your order. The form, along with instructions for submitting it, will be provided to you after you have entered the billing information for your order. If you do not submit your authorization to Credentials within 30 days, your order will be canceled and you will not be billed.
You can check the status of your transcript order here. You will also receive email notifications when our office processes your request and when the recipient retreives the transcript.
We can't hold electronic transcripts to wait for degree/grades at this time. You can check plus.hope.edu to see if your grades/degree have been awarded, then submit your request for an electronic transcript.
Detailed instructions for placing an order with Credentials are available. Additional tips and help are located in the bottom accordion of this page.
If you are uncomfortable placing an order over the internet by yourself, you can call Credentials at 847.716.3005 to assist you with placing your request; however, Credentials will charge an additional processing fee in addition to the regular $3 handling fee. You can also stop by our office for assistance.
- UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
Unofficial transcripts can be accessed in your plus.hope.edu account. Log in with your Hope ID (9-digit number) and PIN. Go to Registrar and Student Accounts > Student Records > Unofficial Transcript. You can print or save it as a PDF by choosing the Print function on your browser.
Your plus.hope.edu account never expires. If you started at Hope during or after fall 1984, you will have a plus.hope.edu account.
If you've forgotten your ID or PIN (or never used plus.hope.edu while at Hope), email the Registrar's Office to so that we can send you the request form. We will use the completed form to verify your information and then email you your log in information. If you are a current student, you don't need to email us for the form; simply stop in and we will help you get access.
If you attended prior to August 1984, you do not have access to an unofficial transcript through plus.hope.edu. You will need to request an official paper transcript, using the above instructions.
- OFFICIAL VS. UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
- Typically, official transcripts are for colleges or universities you are applying
to, job applications and scholarships. Official transcripts should be sent directly
to the receiving organization from Hope and must be requested via the official paper transcript request form or the electronic request form via Credentials.
Unofficial transcripts are useful if you want to see which classes you’ve taken, your GPA, how many credits you have earned and specific grades. Some scholarships and other organizations may accept unofficial transcripts. It may be helpful to you to review your unofficial transcript on plus.hope.edu before you request an official transcript.
- WHAT'S ON YOUR TRANSCRIPT
Your Hope transcript includes:
- Your name at the time you last attended Hope
- Any courses you attempted (completed or not)
- Grade, credit hours and qualty points earned for each course
- Semeter/term earned hours, GPA hours, GPA and quality points
- Overall earned hours, GPA hours, GPA and quality points
- Whether a course was repeated (indicated in the "R" column with an "I" or "E" – see below)
- Any courses you are registered for (current or future terms) are listed as In Progress
- Any other credit that has been applied to your Hope academic record, including transfer, AP, IB and CLEP
- If applicable, degree earned, majors/minors, and date of degree
Majors and minors are only included on your transcript after your degree has been awarded.
The R column is for a repeated course. The "I" means that the course is included in your GPA. Courses with an "E" have been excluded from your GPA: if you have repeated a course to try to improve your grade, your most recent attempt is included in your GPA.
- FINANCIAL HOLDS
To find out if you have a financial obligation with Hope that would prevent your transcript being released, check the status of your account in plus.hope.edu or contact Business Services. If you make a payment to your account, please contact Business Services to have the hold lifted from your account.
If you have a hold on an electronic transcript request, we will notify you via the Credentials system. You have 30 days to resolve your hold before your order is canceled. The canceling of orders is automatic, so make sure to reserve a few days for processing by Business Services and the Registrar's Office. Again, if you have made a payment, be sure to contact Business Services to have your hold lifted, and notify the Registrar's Office, so that we know to begin processing your request before it is canceled. You will not be charged by Credentials until we process your electronic transcript.
- EXPEDITING YOUR TRANSCRIPT
We have a few options for expediting shipping on transcripts. Both options still require 1–2 business days for processing and additional days if you have a financial hold.
Option 1: Expedite your official paper transcript
- You will be responsible for the shipping fee: $7 for Priority USPS, or $24 for overnight USPS.
- You must pay the fee online before your request can be processed.
- Check plus.hope.edu or contact Business Services before you make your request to find out if you have a hold.
- Write which type of delivery you would like at the top of your transcript request form.
- The Registrar’s Office may be able to expedite the 1–2 business day processing, but we cannot guarantee this, depending on the time of the year. Call our office to inquire.
- If you need expedited international shipping, email us to request a price estimate.
Option 2: Request an official electronic transcript
The 1–2 business day processing time still applies. We may be able to expedite the 1–2 business day processing, but we cannot guarantee this, depending on the time of the year. Call our office to inquire.
- ELECTRONIC TRANSCRIPT HELP
Electronic transcripts delivered directly to you will have an “Issued to Student” watermark. Electronic transcripts are official in their original PDF format only. If you print it, it will no longer be official. Follow the instructions below to ensure your electronic transcript remains official.
When you request your electronic transcript to be sent to yourself, you will receive two emails from Credentials (firstname.lastname@example.org). The first, Part 1, contains a link to download your transcript. The second, Part 2, contains an access code that you will need to download your transcript. Part 2 will be sent shortly fter Part 1. To obtain your transcript, follow the below steps:
- In the Part 1 email, click the link to download your transcript. Once you click it,
the link will remain active for 24 hours.
- A new window will pop up that asks for your first name, middle name, last name, telephone number, e-mail address, and access code that was provided in Part 2. Enter the requested information and click Submit.
- Download your transcript.
- Once downloaded, save the PDF in a secure location on your computer, as you will not be able to download it again after 7 p.m. CST on the second business day after you initially open or download it.
- Once this transcript has been downloaded, and until 6 months after downloading it, you may request that Credentials re-certify the authenticity of the document and confirm that it has not been modified since it was originally produced.
- A printed copy of this transcript is considered unofficial and will display the words "PRINTED COPY" on all pages of the PDF.
- For additional information, please see the transcript cover page (page 1 in the PDF).
Electronic transcripts that have not been retreived within 30 days will be deleted and you will not be refunded. You will need to place another order if you need a transcript.
There is more help and FAQs available on the Credentials transcript ordering page.
- In the Part 1 email, click the link to download your transcript. Once you click it, the link will remain active for 24 hours.