These guidelines will help as you craft your budget proposal for the next academic year.
All final decisions are at the discretion of the Appropriations Committee. Decisions are made based on future projections for the organization, past spending habits, care of previously funded requests, how requested funding will help achieve the mission of the individual organization and the college, and adherence to Hope's Good Standing policy. All requests may be fully funded, partially funded or not funded at all.
- STUDENT WAGES
- Student wages will remain consistent across all organizations where students receive a stipend. Wages will not be considered for an increase, unless there is a demonstrable change in the role being filled by a given position.
- STUDENT TRAVEL
The committee will only fund travel during budgeting if a sufficient amount of details are known: destination, lodging costs, number of vehicles needed, mileage and dates. If the dates are recurring throughout the year (e.g., Meijer shuttle runs, Habitat work days), fewer details may be provided.
Appropriations generally does not fund food for off-campus travel. If meals are part of a conference fee, Appropriations may request that students subsidize that portion of the total cost.
Appropriations generally funds ground transportation within a 500 mile radius of Hope College. The use of Hope transportation is strongly encouraged.
It is expected that student groups will book the most effective lodging, based on safety, cost and proximity to destination. Appropriations may request cost comparisons for different lodging options.
RETREAT vs. CONFERENCE
A retreat is an outing taken to promote unity and teamwork within a specific organization. A conference is a trip or event involving select members of the organization, and potentially outside stake-holders, with a specific learning outcome. For each conference attended, the Hope participants must put on an outreach event for the greater Hope community, sharing the conference outcomes.
- Lodging rates for incoming speakers and performers will be based on current rates at the Haworth Hotel and Conference Center.
- Entertainment should align with a group's mission statement and benefit the greater Hope or Holland community.
- Student leaders should take an annual inventory of supplies so that materials can be reused. Prices for office supplies will be based on current prices at the Hope-Geneva Bookstore, where official student groups receive a discount.
- In an effort to care for the environment, Appropriations encourages student groups to advertise through mediums other than paper advertisements: WTHS, the Anchor, inHope announcements and dining screens are all options.
- OUTSIDE SPEAKERS
- Funding to bring speakers to campus will be based on previous spending, the magnitude of the speaker, the estimated benefit of the speaker to the Hope community and the anticipated attendance of the Hope and Holland community.
- Equipment to be used over a number of years should be requested through a capital request. Equipment repairs should be due to regular use, and not carelessness by group members. Equipment that was damaged due to misuse by group members may not be replaced.
- APPAREL AND OTHER OUTSIDE SERVICES
- "Outside Services" refers to any costs incurred from outsourcing a particular need. This should only be done when absolutely necessary. Appropriations will not fund any apparel or other items that will ultimately be kept by group members.
- Appropriations does not fund food for regular group meetings. Funding may be granted when the food is for an event attended by the greater Hope or Holland community. Appropriations will grant a maximum of $5 per person for small events and $10 per person for larger events (ie: Fantasia, Homecoming Hoedown). Hope catering should be used for on-campus events.
- DUES AND MEMBERSHIP
- Funding in this category must be vital to the functioning of the group.
- If a group has exceeded its projected income for two years in a row, Appropriations may require the group to raise its promised income.
- CAPITAL REQUESTS
- Capital requests are made for items that will serve the group for three years or more. Any items funded by Appropriations must stay with the group, not kept by individual members. Individual equipment may not be funded, with the exception of crucial safety equipment (e.g., helmets). If items are not well cared for, future capital requests may not be funded.
Bultman Student Center115 East 12th StreetSuite 107Holland, MI 49423