The neuroscience program is interdisciplinary in nature, with three core courses and many flagged classes from other departments.
As a neuroscience minor, you will take our three core neuroscience courses:
This course explores complex behavior and cognitive topics and includes lab studies at the cellular, molecular and organismal levels.
The first class in a two-part interdisciplinary capstone course in which students with different academic majors work together as a team to complete a self-designed neuroscience research project supervised by an instructor.
The second class in the two-part interdisciplinary capstone course.
In addition to these core, research-focused neuroscience courses, you’ll round out your minor with 12 credits of flagged courses, only eight of which may be taken in your major. These courses are taught by faculty in our sister departments — biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, nursing, philosophy and psychology — and address an array of topics relevant to the field of neuroscience.
“I really liked how flexible the program was. It was easy for me to find courses interesting to me that I thought would help advance my career. The instructors were good, and the classes were implemented well.”
—Program assessment survey
- Students with majors outside of psychology are strongly encouraged to take PSY 100: Introduction to Psychology to fulfill the Social Science I General Education requirement. This class will prepare you for the upper-level flagged courses offered through the psychology department.
- Students with majors outside of biology who are interested in taking a flagged course in biology are strongly encouraged to take BIO 221: Human Physiology as their flagged course.
- Students can receive credit for taking BIO 221 or BIO 442, but not for both classes.
- Students must take NSCI 411 and NSCI 412 in the same academic year.
- Students should attempt to take as many of their flagged courses as possible prior to enrolling in NSCI 411.
A. Paul Schaap Science Center35 East 12th StreetRoom 3106AHolland, MI 49423