Commencement recognizes your hard work and dedication, and it signals the beginning of your life as a Hope College alumnus.
Commencement will be Sunday, May 16, 2021
- Last names A–K will attend the 11 a.m. ceremony.
- Last names L–Z will attend the 3 p.m. ceremony.
All Commencement participants and guests will be required to wear a facial covering throughout the Commencement ceremony. We encourage all members of the Hope community to practice CDC recommendations for social distancing, hand washing and other steps to protect yourself and others.
As Commencement weekend draws closer, we will be finalizing the finer details of the day and making adjustments as necessary to comply with local and state guidelines. This website will be updated with the most current information.
To allow Commencement participants a time to worship together as a class, Baccalaureate will be an outdoor service, near Dimnent Chapel, at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 16. At this service we will do the traditional “Rope of Hope” and the Rev. Dr. Trygve Johnson will deliver the message.
This event is for students only and a reservation will be required.
- Reservations for Commencement and Baccalaureate
Due to social distancing guidelines, Commencement participants will be allowed two (2) guests to attend the Commencement ceremony. No paper tickets will be issued. Guests will check in upon arrival at the stadium.
Baccalaureate will require an advance reservation for the Commencement participant to attend. No guests will be allowed at Baccalaureate.
Commencement participants have been sent a form to submit their reservation requests. The deadline for making reservations is Friday, April 30.
- A lunch option will be available to Commencement participants and their two guests at no charge between 12 and 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 16. As Dining Services works through the details in compliance with the local health department, we will share more information about location, menu and tickets.
- Cap and Gown Pickup
- If you haven't done so already, stop by the Bookstore anytime during their normal open hours to pick up a cap and gown and (optionally) order a diploma frame, graduation announcements and a class ring.
- Inclement Weather Plan
- In the event that inclement weather prevents us from hosting Commencement outdoors, the ceremony will be moved inside to DeVos Fieldhouse. Only Commencement participants would be allowed to attend in-person. The ceremony would be live-streamed and several locations across campus would be available for guests to watch the live-streamed ceremony.