With a degree in biochemistry and molecular biology, you can take a number of paths in life. Hope can set you up for success in all of them.
You’ll find that you’re well-prepared for medical, dental or veterinary doctoral programs if you choose biochemistry
We offer degrees that are certified through national scientific organizations — including the American Chemical Society (ACS) and the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB). In fact, in 2013 our Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major was one of the first in the nation to be accredited by the ASBMB.
- ASBMB-Certified Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Major (B.S.)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry with Biochemistry Emphasis (ACS-Certified)
Hope College students completing a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology degree will:
- Demonstrate knowledge in all major fields of chemistry (analytical, biochemistry, inorganic, organic and physical) and in broad biological topics (organismal, cellular, molecular and genetic levels of biological organization).
- Show understanding in the theory and practice of laboratory techniques and major instrumentation, and will use safe procedures in a biology, chemistry and biochemistry laboratory.
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills, biological and chemical information skills (including reading the lit) and computer/computational skills.
- Demonstrate an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data. Students will express confidence in their abilities to engage in scientific inquiry.
- Show proficiency in scientific communication including laboratory notebooks, laboratory reports, research proposals, journal articles, oral and poster presentations, and working in groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the connections between biochemistry and other science disciplines. Students will have a successful transition to their post-college activities.
Related Degree Programs
A. Paul Schaap Science Center35 East 12th StreetRoom 3103Holland, MI 49423