Special Programs and Opportunities
In addition to on-campus classes and required practicum courses, we offer students opportunities to develop their gifts through leadership, research and off-campus experiences.
Our students enjoy many personal and professional opportunities outside the classroom. While our program has a very structured, rigorous schedule, our students have many opportunities to fully experience what our college has to offer.
Students who desire to study off-campus for an entire semester need to plan early. Semesters abroad are typically done in your sophomore year. Students who would like to study off campus for a semester should request to meet with a nursing faculty by contacting the nursing office manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about our off-campus study options
Every student in our program takes part in the nursing research practicum (NURS 418). In addition, students may be paid to participate in collaborative research with our faculty during the academic year or the summer.
Each year nursing students represent our program by presenting research posters at NCUR (National Conference on Undergraduate Research) and MNRS (Midwest Nursing Research Society).
Learn more about our research programs
Two committees in the nursing department feature opportunities for student leadership: Curriculum and Program Evaluation/Educational Resource Committee and Faculty and Student Development. All groups invite several students to serve and provide valuable insight, suggestions and feedback.
In addition, students provide leadership for the Hope Student Nurse Association and the Hope branch of Nurses Christian Fellowship.
Hope Student Nurses Association
Our student group is part of the National Student Nurse’s Association (NSNA) and the Michigan Nursing Students’ Association (MNSA).
The purpose of the HSNA is to:
- Assume responsibility for contributing to nursing education in order to provide for the highest quality health care
- Provide programs representative of fundamental and current professional interests and concerns
- Aid in the nursing students' development of the whole person, his/her professional role and his/her responsibility for the health care of people in all walks of life
HSNA members participate in Dance Marathon, raise money or supplies for FSIL (a nursing school in Haiti), and organize the Nursing Pinning Ceremony.
Nurses Christian Fellowship
Our department supports a local chapter of Nurses Christian Fellowship (NCF).
The mission of NCF is to:
- Discover our calling as nurses serving Jesus Christ
- Support each other as Christian brothers and sisters through fellowship, Bible study and prayer
- Reach out to our community through service and love
Student leadership plans events such as Blessing of the Hands ceremony, chili dinners, ice cream socials and Bible study. Follow Nurses Christian Fellowship on Instagram.
Sigma Theta Tau (Honor Society)
Sigma Theta Tau is the International Honor Society in nursing. Students are invited to join if they meet the following criteria:
- Have earned at least half of their nursing credits
- Have a minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Are in the highest 35% of their class
Scholarships and Awards
Visit the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, the American Nurses Association, Minority Nurse and Discover Nursing for national scholarships.
Our department offers recognition awards:
- Pre-nursing Student Award
- Sophomore Nursing Student Award
- Junior Nursing Student Award
- Christian Service Award
- Senior Nursing Student Award
- Miriam Joyce VanEyl Award
What students are saying
"NCUR was a great experience. It really gave me an opportunity to see other professional research and practice networking. I really enjoyed exposing the public to new ideas and inspiring creative energy in research. Other people's presentations were really amazing. Collectively the experience fosters continued interest in research and the future of global community."
—Lindsey Miller, poster presenter at NCUR
A. Paul Schaap Science Center35 East 12th StreetRoom 1112Holland, MI 49423