Each optometry school has different admissions requirements, but all require the OAT entrance exam and accept OptomCAS as the primary application service.
The courses listed below are currently offered at Hope and will prepare you for the OAT. All optometry schools have different admissions requirements. Check with the school or the health professions advisor for more information.
- General Biology I and Lab: Biol 105 & 107
- General Biology II and Lab: Biol 106 & 108
- Human Physiology: Biol 221
- Microbiology: Biol 301
- General Chemistry I and Lab: Chem 125 & 127*
- General Chemistry II and Lab: Chem 126 & 128*
- Organic Chemistry I and Lab: Chem 221 & 255
- Organic Chemistry II and Lab: Chem 231 & 256
- Biochemistry I: Chem 311
*Accelerated General Chemistry and Lab, Chem 131 & 132, may be taken in place of Chem 125–128.
- Calculus I: Math 131 OR Calculus with Review I and II: Math 125 & 126
- Introductory Statistics: Math 115
- College Physics I and Lab: Phys 105 & 141 OR General Physics I and Lab: Phys 121 & 141
- College Physics II and Lab: Phys 106 & 142 OR General Physics II and Lab: Phys 122 & 142
additional required courses
- Expository Writing: Engl 113
- 1 upper-level English course
- Introduction to Psychology: Psy 100
- Sociology and Social Problems: Soc 101
ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDED COURSES
(REQUIRED FOR SOME OPTOMETRY SCHOOLS)
DeWitt Student Cultural Center141 East 12th StreetFloor 1Holland, MI 49423