The Women’s and Gender Studies major and minor are interdisciplinary programs.
Both programs draw on resources and departments in the humanities and social sciences. Classes are discussion-based and knowledge gained is both intellectual and experiential in nature.
Pair Your WGS Major or Minor
By completing a degree in Women's and Gender Studies, students develop insights and skills to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression in communities, institutions, organizations, families, and relationships. Specifically, students will:
- Understand the impact of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, ableness and class in defining self and worldview
- Replace subordination/domination and dependence/exploitation with feminist awareness and critique, to reveal underlying assumptions
- Move from being objects of study to be subjects and researchers with a voice of your own
- Examine what women have done, are doing and will do
- Seek a link between voice, empowerment, self-esteem and critical thinking
Lubbers Hall126 East 10th StreetRoom 226Holland, MI 49423