Step Up helps middle school students succeed in school and develop their future potential by caring for their social, emotional and academic needs within a mentoring context.
“Step Up helps me do better on my homework and study more.”
—Anelise, Holland West K–7
- Academic Support: Students receive help with their homework and improve academic skills by working with a mentor individually or in small groups (maximum 1:2 ratio)
- Mentoring Relationships: Students interact each week with caring, consistent mentors who serve as role models, advocates and tutors
- Enrichment Programming: Students participate in additional educational, cultural and social activities on site and in the local community with their mentors
- Summer Program: Students are invited to learn in an interactive summer program and grow their academic and self awareness as well as consider future educational possibilities
- Parent Support and Involvement: Parents attend special sessions alongside their students to learn about issues facing their children and ways to best support them