The Awakening Institute develops students’ artistic gifts for use in worship, deepens their passion for God, and awakens their heart to glimpse a vision of their own leadership in the church.
The first four years of Awakening have hosted 115 high-school students from the states of Michigan, New York, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Florida and South Carolina.
- Nurture students' gifts (music, dance, theatre, art, tech, etc) by providing a context (corporate worship & all of life) to use their gifts to glorify God and edify the bride of Christ.
- Cultivate students’ passion for God by helping them realize their love for God and how he wants us to continue to grow, cultivate, prune and harvest our passion for his kingdom. Feeding our souls helps each of us in horizontal as well as vertical relationships.
- Awaken students’ callings as they begin to see their gifts and passions in the context of God’s huge kingdom and how each of them is going to serve, love and live for the health and growth of something so big and beyond each individual.
- Experience a wide range of worship styles and practices each morning and evening, led by Hope students and faculty with help from special guests.
- Think deeper about worship, theology, and the arts. Gain practical skills in worship leadership through workshops and break-out sessions that tap into your interests and talents.
- The whole week culminates in Thursday’s worship experience. Plan and lead a worship service with your team, and worship with friends who have done the same.
- Each evening will feature showcase events at different locations, area ministries and the closing Festival of Worship on Thursday.
- Trace God’s story in your life. You will have time to reflect on readings and spiritual practices in your personal devotional time each morning and evening and in small groups throughout the week.
- Worship on the beach of Lake Michigan. Walk a forested trailway. Spend time downtown. Engage with the Hope College campus. Develop new relationships with those you meet and build into peers you may be attending with.