/ Disability and Accessibility Resources

Campus and Housing Accessibility

Making Hope your accessible home.

Our role in student housing is to verify the need and determine reasonable accommodations for a disability to provide access to a campus residential environment. Housing assignments are determined by Residential Life & Housing as part of a collaborative process with our office. We cannot guarantee assignment to a specific room or residence hall and accommodations are not contigent on other students. Please know that reasonable accommodations are sought for students within the context of the three year (75 credit limit) on campus residential policy. We do not approve off-campus requests as an accommodation for a disability.

Requesting on-campus housing accommodation(s) for a disability includes:  

  • If you have never worked with DAR before, submit a Request for Accommodations.
  • If you have previously been approved for housing accommodations, please sign into Accommodate with your 1Hope User ID and password and submit a semester request for the housing accommodations you will be requesting for the fall semester. 
  • In-person meetings with DAR staff are required for all new requests to discuss accommodations. If you are a returning student requesting the same accommodations, a meeting may not be necessary. We will contact you with next steps.  
  • For incoming freshman, we will contact you to review your request by email and/or phone. 
  • If needed, you will be asked to submit documentation supporting the request for housing accommodations. All documentation will be considered confidential.

Architectural accommodations are for students who may require physical change(s) to a residence hall, cottage or apartment. Architectural accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

  • Visual fire alarms.
  • Grab bars.
  • Shower benches.

Requests for accommodation involving assignment to a specific room (e.g., single room) or hall type (but not requiring a physical change to a room) must be made through the process outlined here. Roommate assignments for ADA accessible rooms will be made under the established roommate assignment procedures. Students are assigned to spaces on campus that will fulfill the approved accommodations. 


Animals permitted in indoor spaces on campus are needed for a disability. These animals fall into two categories:

  1. A service animal is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as a dog (and in some cases a miniature horse) that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or alerting an individual to an impending seizure. The work or task a service animal performs must be directly related to the person's disability. Service animals may accompany persons with disabilities into places that the public normally goes including classrooms, residential halls, cafeterias, offices, businesses open to the public and public transportation. 
  2. An assistance animal is an animal that provides a therapeutic benefit to its owner through companionship. The animal provides emotional support and comfort to individuals with psychiatric disabilities and other mental impairments. The animal is not specifically trained to perform tasks for a person who suffers from emotional disabilities. Unlike a service animal, an assistance animal is not granted access to places of public accommodation. Under the federal Fair Housing Act (FHA), an assistance animal is viewed as a "reasonable accommodation" in a housing unit.

Trasvina, John, T. (April 25, 2013). Service Animals and Assistance Animals for People with Disabilities in Housing and HUD-Funded Programs. [Memorandum]. Washington, DC: Department of Housing and Urban Development.