We believe that the campus community is best-served when every student is immunized.
In compliance with recommendation from the American College Health Association, the following vaccines are required for all incoming Hope College students:
- Measles, mumps and rubella vaccine: Two doses required; first dose on or after age 1, second dose no sooner than four weeks after first dose
- Tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine: Completed childhood series, and one dose on or after age 10
- Tetanus booster within the last 10 years
- Polio vaccine: Completed childhood series
- Tuberculosis screening form to be completed and returned to health center staff: TB skin test before college entrance with recorded results may be needed
- Hepatitis B vaccine: Series of three; students just starting series may finish series at Hope Health Center if needed
- Varicella vaccine if no history of chickenpox disease; two doses required
- Meningococcal vaccine (A-C-Y-W135): One dose on or after age 16
Students must provide documented proof of these immunizations before moving into student housing. The Hope Health Center will accept positive blood titers for measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B and varicella as proof of completed immunization for these diseases.
Students may sign the Hope Immunization Waiver if they have personal or religious reasons to defer vaccines.
Hope College strongly recommends the following vaccines prior to or upon college entrance:
- HPV vaccine
- Meningitis B vaccine
The Hope Health Center is able to provide all of the required vaccines. The cost of these will be covered under the HopeHealth benefit for those who have not exceeded their limit. See HopeHealth Benefit regarding vaccine benefits. Appointments may be made by dialing 616.395.7585.
- IF YOU CANNOT LOCATE YOUR IMMUNIZATION RECORD
Check with your high school and/or local health department. If they do not have your record:
- You may be re-vaccinated according to ACIP guidelines. For an adult this would include
the following vaccines:
- One dose of Tdap
- Two doses of Td
- Three doses of polio
- Two doses of MMR
- Three doses of hepatitis B
- Two doses of varicella (if no evidence of chickenpox disease)
- One dose of MCV4
This will then provide a record for you now and into the future.
- You may choose to have blood testing to prove you are immune against measles, mumps,
rubella, hepatitis B and varicella.
- You will not need vaccine(s) if the results show you are immune. We will need a copy of your lab results if you choose to do this.
- You may be re-vaccinated according to ACIP guidelines. For an adult this would include the following vaccines:
- TRAVELING TO A HIGH-RISK TB COUNTRY
- You must include that information on your TB screening tool and return this with your completed health history form. Please note the dates of your travel.
- You must then have a TB test nine–12 weeks after you return, either in the Hope Health Center or through your private physician.