HASP governance includes the Board of Directors as well as permanent and standing committees.
Board of Directors
The makeup of the board includes:
- Six at-large members elected by HASP membership for three-year terms on a rotating basis
- The president, vice-president, HASP director, treasurer and the chairpersons of the six standing committees are ex officio voting members while holding office
- Two persons from the Hope College faculty and staff, appointed annually by the President of Hope College, are voting members
The board meets four times a year and on special call. The board is vested with leadership in establishing policies and instituting programs "responsive to the wishes and needs of the members."
|Vice President||Barbara Steginkfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|At large 2020||Mike Economosemail@example.com|
|At large 2020||Connie Corriveaufirstname.lastname@example.org|
|At large 2021||Debra Williamsonemail@example.com|
|At large 2021||Paul Heusinkveldfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|At large 2022||Bradford Brightemail@example.com|
|At large 2022||David Blattfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Monthly Program||Claudia Berryemail@example.com|
|Special Events||Judie Zylman||Jazie3@gmail.com|
|College Liaison||Dr. Fred Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College Liaison||Josh Bishopemail@example.com|
- Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the HASP president, the vice-president, the treasurer, the HASP director, and the two directors elected by the membership whose terms of office will expire at the end of that year. The Executive Committee shall act on behalf of HASP between meetings of the Board of Directors, subject to the right of the Board of Directors to ratify or nullify Executive Committee action at the next Board of Directors meeting.
- Nominating Committee
- The Nominating Committee shall be formed at the beginning of each HASP year. It shall consist of the HASP director, who shall serve as chairperson, the two directors elected by the membership whose terms expire at the end of that year, and three persons from the HASP membership appointed by the president.
- Personnel Committee
- The Personnel Committee shall review the organizational operations, personnel needs and compensation for the hired staff according to the guidelines approved by the Board of Directors. The personnel committee consists of four members: the HASP president, the vice president, and the two retiring board members. The president may invite the HASP treasurer for consultation regarding budget changes.
Currently six standing committees plan and direct the activities of HASP. The chairpersons are designated each year by the Executive Committee and the members are volunteers from the HASP membership.
- Communications Committee
- To prepare and disseminate information about academy activities to the Hope College community and the general public
- To solicit, edit and publish literary and artistic offerings by HASP members in the HASP Review
- Communications Chair – vacant
- Curriculum Committee
To conceive, initiate, promote and supervise courses, and study and discussion groups which address membership interests and needs. There are four sub-committees involved in planning curriculum:
- Curriculum Chair (Sharon Arendshorst, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Humanities (Judy Parr and David Brower, email@example.com)
- Social Sciences (Mike Economos, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fine Arts (Sarah Briggs, email@example.com)
- Science, Medicine and Technology (Bruce Bassett, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Membership Committee
- To help orient new members to the purposes and procedures of the academy and the privileges of membership
- To help new members become better acquainted with their academy colleagues
- Membership Chair (Carla VerSchure, email@example.com)
- Monthly Program Committee
To plan and implement programs for monthly member program meetings, assessing periodically the interests of the membership and the special capabilities of members for participating in or presenting such programs.
- Monthly Program Chair (Claudia Berry, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Special Events Committee
To plan and administer special social, cultural, educational and recreational events each year, with the objective in part to further acquaintance and fellowship among members.
- Special Events Chair (Judie Zylman, email@example.com)
- Service Committee
- To identify, from the college and community sources, needs and opportunities to achieve intellectual, social and cultural growth among members of the Hope College and area communities.
- To ascertain the special competencies of academy members and their readiness to be a resource to help others, especially Hope students.
- To publicize the requests and the resources, and to facilitate converting them into actual programs of service.
- Service Chair (Maura Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hope College Faculty Requests (Elliot Tanis, email@example.com)
- Tulip Time Trolley Guides (David Tapley, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Baggie Books (Isla VerMeulen, email@example.com)
- Symphony Ushers (Myra Karachy, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Holland Free Health Clinic (MarieHamiltonvosareeno@sbcglobal.net)
Anderson-Werkman Center100 East 8th Street Suite 270Suite 270Holland, MI 49423