Communication majors enjoy a robust and agile skill set. Being equipped to think critically and make decisions ethically, and having a strong understanding of research and analysis, means you can walk into many jobs a step above the competition.
Our graduates go on to careers in diverse fields. Many go on to attend graduate school. If you graduated with a major or minor in communication, please get in touch with us. We'd love to hear from you!
- ALUMNI TESTIMONIALS
Brian Lynn ’13, Director of Branded Sales, Hudsonville Creamery
“The educational value of a Hope College degree is not in the books you read, the notes from lectures or the tests you take. The value is in the extensive network of alumni around the globe that have a passion for helping you succeed in your career. The value is in the quality and caliber of leaders teaching your classes,” Brian says.
Brian says that the communication department exposed him to professors that were more than just academics.
“These men and women are practitioners of their content, and many of the projects assigned to us were taken directly from their real-world experiences as business owners, executives, consultants, etc.,” he says.
Brian explains that exposure to complex real-world problems and the expectation to deliver detailed, professional solutions in an undergraduate environment, coupled with the detailed constructive feedback from professors, helped him differentiate himself early in his career.
Victoria Leigh Claus ’11, Director of Human Resources, Sound Tech Inc.
After graduating Hope College, Victoria received her master’s in human resource development from Texas A&M University. Because the majority of the master’s program focused on training and development in the workplace, much of her time was spent in front of the class, providing mock training sessions and educating others while also educating herself. Additionally, she has published her research and was selected to present two conference papers at the Academy of Human Resource Development.
Today, as an HR director, she must clearly and effectively communicate with internal associates, conduct meetings, orientation programs, training programs, etc., and gain support and buy-in from the parties involved.
“The degree in communication from Hope College was a valuable asset providing me the foundational knowledge and resources I needed to excel in my advanced education and career,” Victoria says. “Additionally, my choice of a degree in communication allowed for a wide range of job opportunities and educational advancements and will allow changes in the future, should I choose.”
Chris Lewis ’09, Founder and Owner, Innovative Written Solutions
As the sole owner of Innovative Written Solutions, a freelance writing and editing services company, Chris' daily responsibilities go beyond content development and editorial projects. He manages all aspects of his business — accounting, marketing, interpersonal communication, persuasion — every day.
“I thank the communication department for helping instill these skill sets,” Chris says.
Chris says courses like Global Communication and Presidential Rhetoric, overseeing the department newsletter and participating in collaborative, student-faculty research taught him to communicate to a wide-ranging audience with confidence and cohesiveness.
Chris participated in six internships, including one in Chicago and another in Orlando.
“These experiences ultimately taught me how to write about any topic — quickly, efficiently and assuredly,” he says.
Since graduating, Chris has written for over 60 companies and publications in more than a dozen industries.
“I know — beyond the shadow of a doubt — that I would not have had the confidence to pursue such a comprehensive variety of projects without the assistance I received from Hope College's communication department,” Chris says.
- COMMUNICATION ALUMNI "10 Under 10" AWARD WINNERS
- 2021 — Natalie Brown ’17, writer, speaker and founder of 4:14 Ministries
- 2020 — Amy Fisher ’10 Weibley, owner and founder of AW Designs LLC
- 2019 — Allison Garza ’10 Wicker, international relief and development consultant
- 2018 — Jonas Lawson ’13, addressable account executive at The Walt Disney Company
- 2018 — Quinn Nystrom ’08, speaker, author and diabetes advocate
- EMPLOYERS OF RECENT GRADUATES
- White House Office of Media Affairs
- Gentex Corporation
- WZZM-TV 13
- Disher Design and Development
- DTE Energy
- Herman Miller
- Hope College
- Judson Group
- Murdoch Marketing
- Stryker Corporation
- Teach for America
- Tulsa 66ers
- United Way
- West Michigan Office Interiors
- JOB TITLES OF RECENT GRADUATES
- Communications Director
- IT Recruiter
- Project Planner – Product Development
- Social Media Director
- Marketing Associate
- Multimedia Journalist
- Campaign Coordinator
- Human Resources Analyst
- Sales and Marketing Analyst
- Senior News Producer
- Theatre Manager
- Web Designer
- Online Marketing Specialist
- Intranet Developer
- Business Development Specialist
- GRADUATE SCHOOLS OF RECENT GRADUATES
- Ball State University
- Bowling Green University
- Fuller Seminary
- Jane Addams School of Social Work
- Michigan State University
- The Ohio State University
- Princeton Theological Seminary
- Temple University
- Texas A&M
- University of Illinois
- University of Iowa Law School
- University of Michigan
- University of Notre Dame
- Wayne State University
- PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS FOR COMMUNICATION PROFESSIONALS
- American Association of Advertising Agencies
- American Communication Association
- American Press Institute
- Association for Women in Communications
- Broadcast Education Association
- Federal Communications Commission
- National Association of Broadcasters
- National Communication Association
- National Speakers Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Radio-Television News Directors Association
- Toastmasters International
- West Michigan Film & Video Alliance
"I can’t say enough great things about the professors, classes and extra curricular groups in the comm department. The professors want you to succeed and help you reach your dreams. They 100% helped me achieve mine"
—Taylor Jones ’16, TV News Reporter, Fox32, Northern Michigan
Martha Miller Center257 Columbia AvenueRoom 107Holland, MI 49423