Go beyond Hope with activities designed to broaden your perspective.
The entire Phelps Scholars cohort meets once or twice each month to discuss a variety of topics such as preparing to register, achieving college success, maintaining personal wellbeing, studying abroad, and marketing the Phelps Scholars experience. They also have the opportunity to network with upperclassmen, build relationships with faculty and staff, and may attend other diversity-related events on campus.
Phelps Scholars travel on day trips to a variety of destinations, including:
- Grand Rapids, Michigan: Traditional Native American pow wow
- Chicago, Illinois: Trinity United Church of Christ and a soul food restaurant
- Chicago, Illinois: Lunar New Year celebration in Chinatown
- Dearborn, Michigan: Islamic Center of America, Arab-American National Museum and a traditional Lebanese restaurant
- Detroit, Michigan: The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the Holocaust Memorial Center and a Cuban restaurant
Trips are offered three to four times each semester. Students are required to attend one trip of their choice during the fall and spring semesters; all others are optional but encouraged as schedules permit. Trip costs are fully covered by the Phelps Scholars Program.
“Our field trips served as a real-world experience for learning about other cultures.”