Go beyond Hope with activities designed to broaden your perspective.
The entire Phelps Scholars group meets once or twice each month to discuss a variety of topics such as preparing to register, studying abroad and marketing the Phelps Scholars experience. They also have the opportunity to network with upperclassmen and may attend other diversity-related events on-campus.
Phelps Scholars travel on day trips to a variety of destinations, including:
- Grand Rapids, Michigan: Traditional Native American pow wow
- Chicago, Illinois: Trinity United Church of Christ and a soul food restaurant
- Chicago, Illinois: Lunar New Year celebration in Chinatown
- Dearborn, Michigan: Islamic Center of America, Arab-American National Museum and a traditional Lebanese restaurant
- Indianapolis, Indiana: Follow the North Star underground railroad reenactment at Connor Prairie interactive history park and a Caribbean restaurant
- Detroit, Michigan: The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the Holocaust Memorial Center and a Cuban restaurant
Trips are offered three to four times each semester. Students are required to attend one trip of their choice during the first semester; all others are optional but encouraged as schedules permit. Trip costs are fully covered by the Phelps Scholars Program.
“Our field trips served as a real-world experience for learning about other cultures.”