You will need comfortable clothing for five days. Shorts are fine for the morning, afternoon and evening. We'll spend much of our time inside where it’s cool and comfortable, but we will spend time outside as well.
- Bring recreational clothes if you think you’ll want to explore an outdoor running or walking trail
- Consider a hat or sunglasses, too
- Comfortable shoes
- While most events are in the same building, you’ll have to do some walking around campus — especially to get to your resident hall
For the Thursday worship event we suggest button-down or polo shirts with khaki dress slacks for men, and pants, long dresses or skirts with an appropriate blouse for women.
A final Note
- Please take others into consideration as you plan your wardrobe
- Bring modest shorts and shirts and, in general, clothes that fit properly
- Please no clothing with inappropriate language or advertising
The usual toiletries
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Razor, shaving cream
- Sunscreen for beach
- Whatever else is part of your normal getting-ready routine
Bed linens, bath towels, pillow and blanket are included in your room. Depending on the weather, dorm rooms can be warm, so come prepared with a variety of clothing and maybe a fan to stay cool at night if it happens to be warm. Bring a swimsuit and a beach towel for the Lake Michigan beach!
Worship and the Arts
You'll need it for worship and other times at Awakening.
If you want to dive in musically, bring your instrument.
If you think you’ll need them, bring your favorite sketchbook, pen, camera, pencil, marker, dancing gear or theater garb.
We’re covering the big things, but money doesn’t grow on trees. You may want an occasional soda or water — you’re on your own there. But there will not be a need for a great deal of money on campus.
Bring your prescription medication and other medicine you take regularly. We’ll trust your team leader to be in charge of this according to our policies.
You may need it for free time and for the beach.
You’ll want an umbrella just in case.
For those treks to and from the dorm.
Hope is an all-Wi-Fi campus. We’ll give you the password when you arrive. We’ll have tech-friendly events for tablets, phones and laptops. If you bring these, be prepared for us to tell you when you can and can’t use them. You should leave them in your room each day unless you are notified that they’ll be needed.