Hope College offers a competitive benefit plan that promotes our employees’ health and wellbeing, work-life balance and financial stability.
Eligibility for benefits is based on hours scheduled to work in the college's fiscal year (July 1–June 30).
Full-time employee *
>.75 FTE (1,560+ hrs) **
.5-.74 FTE (1,000-1,559 hrs)
<.49 FTE (<999 hrs)
On & Off Campus Offers for Employees
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) adminsters Hope College's self-insured preferred provider organization (PPO) health insurance plan. BCBSM provides a network of local, national and international providers. Currently 100% of Michigan hospitals and approximately 95% of providers in the West Michigan area participate in the BCBSM network. This access provides our employees with great options for their health care needs.
Need to find a form for Blues (Coordination of Benefits, Reimbursement for Out-of-Pocket Medical, etc.), simply log into your www.bcbsm.com member account. view 2023–24 medical plans at a glance & employee premiums Resources
- NEW PROGRAM: Sword (digital physical therapy program)
- NEW PROGRAM: Bloom (digital physical therapy program for women)
- Your Choices for Care
- BCBSM Online Visit Benefit (what services are available, how to use, etc.)
- Free 24/7 Nurse Line
- Spouse Eligibility Requirements Form
- Member Handbook
- Understanding EOB's
- In-Network Provider Search (when prompted, select PPO Plan as "your network" if prompted) or call 1.877.671.2583 (in Michigan) or 1.800-810.2583 (outside of Michigan)
- International Coverage with Global Core (formerly know as BlueCard)
- International Coverage and Claim Form (select info for PPO Plans)
- Medical Cost Comparison Tool (access member site and select your choices for care – compare cost & quality)
- BCBSM Cost Estimate FAQs (frequently asked questions)
- Blue Cross Rewards Program and Intro Video
- Automobile Exclusion Notice Letter to Auto Agent
REQUIRED FEDERAL POSTINGS SPECIFIC TO MEDICAL PLAN
- BCBSM Machine Readable File (Transparency in Coverage required posting) To view ~ right click link ~ select copy ~ paste in separate tab on your computer's browser.
- Notice of Health Coverage Options (ACA required posting)
- Prescription Drugs/Rx
CVS/Caremark administers Hope College's self-insured pharmacy benefit and provides both a retail pharmacy network and mail-order option for member's prescription drug needs. Employees and their family's coverage is automatic with their Medical Plan election (Blue or Orange) and coverage is dependent on that plan's design.
Lost or need to replace your CVS/Caremark ID? Access your member site through CVS/Caremark link above to print a replacement.
PrudentRx Co-Pay Program for Specialty Drugs
Monday - Friday, 8a-8p, ET
Optional $0 copay program for employee assistance with specialty drugs expense. VIEW 2023–24 prescription drug plans at a glance & Employee premiums
Blue Dental (division of BCBSM) provides Hope College's dental insurance plan. Blue Dental provides a network of local and national providers. West Michigan has approximately 75 in-network providers.
Lost or need to replace your Blue Dental ID? Access your member site to request a new one. VIEW 2023–24 DENTAL PLANS AT A GLANCE & Employee premiums
- Understanding EOB's
- In-Network Provider Search or 1.888.826.8152 (when prompted, select Blue Dental PPO as "your network")
- Non-Participating Providers Blue Dental Claim Form
- Understanding EOB's
EyeMed provides Hope College's vision insurance plan. EyeMed provides a network of local and national providers. West Michigan has approximately 50 providers in network.
plan at a glance
summary of benefits and coverage Vision BAAG employee premiums (per pay 2x/mth)
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings
PNC BeneFit Plus
Lost or need to replace your PNC Debit Card? Contact PNC Bank @ 1.844.356.9993 for assistance.
Resources and forms
- Child/Dependent Care Eligible Expense Guidelines
- Health Savings Contribution Form
- PNC Reimbursement Request Form
- Assistance for "When Receipts Are Needed"
child / dependent care
Flexible Spending Child/Dependent Care accounts are avenues to set aside pre-tax money for out-of-pocket dependent care expenses. Eligibility for Child/Dependent Care FSA is not dependent on your health insurance election.
Flexible Spending Medical and Health Savings accounts are avenues to set aside pre-tax money for out-of-pocket medical, dental, vision and other health related expenses. Limited Purpose Flexible accounts are available for ONLY out-of-pocket dental and vision expenses of HSA participants. Eligibility for Medical FSA and HSA/LPFSA accounts are dependent on your health insurance election.
medical tax savings plan comparison
FSA HSA LPFSA Eligibility Must be enrolled in traditional health plan (college's Blue or similar plan) Must be enrolled in a high deductible health plan (college's Orange Plan only) Must be enrolled in HSA normal Provisions
Use-it-or-lose-it with $570 carryover (2023) and $610 (2024) only
Roll-over annually, no use-it-or-lose-it rule
Use-it-or-lose it with $570 carryover (2023) and $610 (2024) only
Maximums $3,050 (per benefit year)
Single: $3,850* (per calendar year)
Double/Family: $7,750* (per calendar year)
*if aged 55+, an additional contribution of $1,000 is allowed.
$3,050 (per benefit year) medical plan Eligible Expenses FSA Eligible Expense List HSA Eligible Expense List Dental & Vision Expenses Only Reimbursement process & to Monitor/check balance PNC BeneFit Plus Website Option to Change Amount during Benefit Year Not applicable unless eligible for Special Enrollment (see Benefit Changes section) HSA Contribution Form Not applicable unless eligible for Special Enrollment (see Benefit Changes section)
- Hope College provides a retirement plan called "INVEST" to all eligible (scheduled
to work 1,000+ hours annually) employees after one year of employment. The college
contributes, on a per-pay basis, an amount equal to 10.5% of an employee's base salary.
Employees may also contribute, either pre-tax or post-tax (ROTH), on a voluntary basis.
Vesting (ownership) is 100% upon participation. Participants may direct the College
contribution into a variety of investment alternatives.
Transamerica (best viewed in Internet Explorer)
TIAA-Cref (legacy provider prior to October 1, 2013)
- Enrollment Kit
- Manage Voluntary Contributions (access your account & select details > manage > contributions)
- Asset Consolidation Group (Transamerica information and contact for incoming direct rollovers for employees)
- Getting Ready to Retire (Transamerica is here to help)
- Managed Advice Program (an add-on option for your INVEST Retirement Plan Investment Advice)
- Do you have a personal financial plan in place? (our 403b plan investment advisor IBS Financial can help.)
- On Campus Individual Consultations with Transamerica Reps (held each semester) – Next Date: November 6 and 7, 2023 (click on registration link to sign up)
- On Demand Phone or Video Consultation with Chris Clinton, Transamerica Customer Care Rep (ongoing opportunity to 1x1 meeting to discuss retirement accounts)
PLAN DOCUMENTS & ANNUAL REQUIRED NOTICES
- Enrollment Kit
- Life Insurance
Hope College provides term life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance coverage for our employees, at no cost to the employee, equal to one-and-one-half times annual salary. The benefit amount is reduced at age 65 and again at age 70 if still actively employed. Employees may also purchase additional Voluntary Life Insurance, at group rates, post tax, via payroll deduction.
SunLife Group Policy #952772
Employer-Paid Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- FT Faculty, Administrative and Hourly Staff Benefits At A Glance
- FT Faculty, Administrative and Hourly Staff Life Insurance Certificate of Coverage
- FT Faculty, Administrative and Hourly Staff AD&D Certificate of Coverage
Employee-Paid Voluntary Term Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance Benefits At A Glance
- Voluntary Life and LTD Enrollment EOI Electronic Form or Paper Form
- Voluntary Certificate of Coverage
PROVIDER INFORMATIONSunLife Insurance 1.800.247.6875 www.sunlife
- FT Faculty, Administrative and Hourly Staff Benefits At A Glance
- Tuition Waiver
Tuition Waiver benefits are available for employees, their spouses and children. Eligible programs include on-campus courses as well as several off-campus programs. Additionally, Hope College participates with a waiver program within the Great Lakes College Association.
PLAN AT A GLANCE
STAFF (hourly & Administrative) faculty employee taking classes on campus (One course per semester maximum) 100% waiver (after one-year employment) 100% waiver (immediate eligibility) employee's spouse and Children less than age 25 (up to 10 semesters max.) 10% waiver for each year of employee's service up to maximum of 100%, less financial aid, of courses taken on Hope College campus.
Once 100% waiver earned, eligible also for the waiver remission program for dependents at schools within Great Lakes College Association (glca.org) (up to eight semesters maximum).
100% waiver, less financial aid, of courses taken on Hope College campus.
Immediate eligibility also for the waiver remission program for dependents at schools within Great Lakes College Association (glca.org) (up to eight semesters maximum).
Paid Benefit/Leave Time
- Holidays & Campus Shut Down
NOTE: Employees working shifts other than M–F should contact their supervisor for revised holiday calendars.
Floating Holiday Employee selects, no carryover allowed New Year's Day Monday, January 2 Good Friday Friday, April 7 Memorial Day Monday, May 29 bonus holiday Monday, July 3 Independence Day Tuesday, July 4 Thanksgiving Thursday–Friday, November 23–24 Christmas Eve Friday, December 22 Christmas Monday, December 25 Campus Shut-Down December 26–29
Floating Holiday Employee selects, no carryover allowed New Year's Day Monday, January 1 Good Friday Friday, March 29 Memorial Day Monday, May 27 Independence Day Thursday, July 4 bonus holiday Friday, July 5 Thanksgiving Thursday–Friday, November 28–29 Christmas Eve Tuesday, December 24 Christmas Wednesday, December 25 Campus Shut-Down December 23, 26-31
Policies per employment status:
- Jury Leave
- Funeral/Bereavement Leave
- Sick Pay, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Hope College provides financial assistance for absences due to illness, hospitalization, surgery or other medical condition. The benefit is composed of three components: Sick, Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability.
Hope College Human Resources Office (self-administration of sick and short-term disability)
Sunlife Insurance (long-term disability provider effective July 1, 2022)
PLAN AT A GLANCE
Hourly Faculty and Administrative staff Sick pay Earned on an accrual basis at the rate of 40 hours per year. Balance reflected in Leave Balance on plus.hope.edu employee secure log-in. (policy) Regular pay for work missed due to illness. (policy) Short-Term Disability (for surgeries and illnesses requiring >3 days absence as well as maternity leave)
60% of normal rate of pay for medically necessary leave, up to 26 weeks. (policy) 100% wage continuation for medically necessary leaves, up to 26 weeks. (policy) Long-term disability (available after six months continuous disability) 60% of base monthly earnings (up to $6,000 max). (policy) 60% of base monthly earnings (up to $6,000 max). (policy) long-term disability buy-up (additional employee cost) An additional 10% LTD coverage, for total of 70% (up to $7,500 max.), may be purchased. An additional 10% LTD coverage, for total of 70% (up to $7,500 max.), may be purchased. Summary of benefits & buy-up cost formulas Core and Buy-Up FT Faculty & Administrative (Classification 1 & 2) and Hourly (Classification 3 & 4) Certificates Core with Buy-Up FT Faculty & Administrative (Classification 1 & 2) and Hourly (Classification 3 &4)
- Non-Medical FMLA, Other Unpaid Leaves, and Parental Leave
Hope College Wellness seeks to inspire, educate and promote healthy living for the faculty and staff in our community. We desire to create a culture that has an excellent quality of life by addressing the whole person — body, mind and spirit. For more details and current classes and education opportunities:
- On Campus & Community Offers for Employees
Human Resources receives special discount information and opportunities for our employees. While we do not endorse any particular off-campus company, we want to share the potential discounts and group rates available to you. You will be required to show a valid Hope College Faculty/Staff ID.
- 30% off apparel and 15% office supplies at Bookstore
- Discounted meals ($4 breakfast, $6 lunch and dinner) for faculty, staff and immediate family members at Cook and Phelps dining halls
- DeWitt Tennis Center and/or Dow Center use
- Free athletic admission
- Theater discounts
- Personal computer repair
- Mail services
- Van Wylen Library privileges
Vision & Hearing
- Old National Mortgage (faculty)
- ONB Partnership Program (for faculty and staff)
- United Federal Credit Union
- PNC Bank
- Fifth Third Bank
Health & Wellness
- Ideal Bodywork Massage LLC - $5 off one hour massage with Hope ID
- Pure Barre Holland — first class FREE (code HOPEhealth) and/or 30% off (with code HOPE30)
- MVP Fitness Center
- Orangetheory (visit website for current classes)
- Velo City Cycles
- Working Advantage (discount program for hotel, car, entertainment, etc. offered through Ulliance EAP
provider) NOTE: Using this link will connect this program directly through Ulliance,
simply register by using your Hope email address.
- Adoption Reimbursement Benefit
In order to assist families with the cost of adoption, Hope College will provide reimbursement for adoption expenses up to the actual cost or current benefit amount.
- Walk to Work
- Employee Assistance Program
The Ulliance Life Advisor EAP® is an employer sponsored benefit for employees that offers total well-being services to employees, spouse/live-in partner and dependents through the age of 26 at no cost to the employee and is 100% confidential. Services include counseling, coaching, crisis intervention, resources and more. To access your benefit or to learn more, contact your Life Advisor Consultant at 1.800.448.8326 or visit LifeAdvisorEAP.com.
- Ulliance Life Advisor EAP®