Sabbatical leaves are designed to encourage faculty professional development and advance Hope’s educational objectives.
The program provides paid leaves as a privilege, not as a routine award for years in service. Faculty members can qualify for sabbatical leave by submitting a written proposal.
Sabbatical Submission Deadlines
- The Provost Office sends an invitation to all sabbatical eligible applicants. This
is sent via email from the Workflow system (within FAR)
- Any eligible faculty member who does not wish to apply may opt out of the process in Workflow. Faculty members who opt out retain eligibility and will receive another invitation in the next cycle.
- Applicant submits proposal as a .pdf in Workflow by September 16
- Department chair submits letter of support by September 23
- Department chairs applying for sabbatical follow a modified application process. Suggestions for position coverage and staffing may be indicated in the comments section of the applicant's submission. There will not be a separate letter of support from the department chair level, and the divisional dean will make final recommendations for course coverage within the system.
- Dean submits dean's letter of support by October 7
- Status committee reviews materials and submits recommendation
- Faculty are notified of the decision by mid-November
- One semester at full salary or academic year at half salary. See the Faculty Handbook for details on benefits during sabbatical leave
Eligible faculty are contacted each year in April to submit applications the following September.
- Tenure-track faculty are eligible after completing six years of full-time employment at Hope College — contingent upon being granted tenure by the start of the leave
- Non-tenure track faculty are eligible after completing nine years of full-time employment at Hope College
- Eligibility for subsequent sabbatical leaves require six years of additional full-time service for tenured faculty and nine years of additional full-time service for non-tenure track faculty
- Proposal Requirements
Each proposal must include these sections:
- A statement of the purpose and detailed outline of the project
- An itinerary and detailed timeline for accomplishment of each element of the project
- A statement of how the success of your project can be evaluated
- Final report from previous sabbatical (if any) presenting clear and compelling evidence that previous leaves were successful in accomplishing stated goals for research, creative production or service to the college/department/program
- A letter of support from the department chair including a plan for covering the leave noting any financial considerations
- A letter of support from the dean
Refer to the Faculty Handbook for additional information.
- The Status Committee will review proposals and applicants will be notified of the outcome of their proposals by mid-November.
- Final Report
- A report must be submitted at the end of the leave providing evidence that the stated objectives were met. Submit electronic copies to the Office of the Provost (firstname.lastname@example.org), your dean and department chair. A final report from any sabbatical leave must be on file in the Provost's office prior to reapplying.
DeWitt Student Cultural Center141 East 12th StreetFloor 2Holland, MI 49423