/ Registrar's Office

Schedule Changes

Most schedule changes can be made in your plus.hope.edu account beginning registration week and through the first week of classes.

After registration week, online registration closes for a short time while wait lists are reviewed by departments. Online registration reopens on the first day of the drop/add period. At that time, you can drop courses or add open courses (without a wait list) yourself in plus.hope.edu. You do not need instructor or advisor permission to make these changes online.

You won't be able to add yourself to a closed (full) class, or a class that shows open seats but has a wait list. You can, and should, add yourself to the wait list if you are interested in the course. This gives departments the most accurate representation of course demand. There is no automatic wait listing, so the only way a student can add a waitlisted or closed class is by getting permission from the instructor. 

Class availability generally shifts after the wait list period, so make sure you check the class schedule for classes that have opened up.

REGISTRATION WEEK April 2–5 Register in plus.hope.edu.

Online registration closes at 7 a.m. on April 8 while departments review their wait lists; no schedule changes during this time except for students who missed their registration time.

Students accepted to add from a wait list will be contacted by the Registrar's Office at 5 p.m. on April 11 with instructions to accept their spot. Registrar's Office will make changes to the schedules of students who follow the instructions.

DROP/ADD April 18–August 30

The drop/add period begins and online registration reopens at 8 a.m. on April 18. Most schedule changes can be made in plus.hope.edu. Check below for instructions on adding a closed, wait listed, or restricted classses.

Online registration closes at 5 p.m. on Friday, August 30. After this time, schedule changes can only be made with instructor and advisor permission and by following the instructions below.

  September 4 Last day to drop/add full semester and first-half courses.
  October 23 Last day to drop/add last-half courses.

It is your responsibility to know the drop/add deadlines. Once the deadline has passed, you will only be able to withdraw from the course for a W grade and the course will remain on your record.


Open Class with a Wait List or a closed (full) class

  • Hope does not use automatic wait listing, so you will not be able to register yourself for a closed class OR a class that has a wait list, even if it shows available seats.
  • Email the instructor asking for permission to add the course.
  • Once you have permission, fill out the Schedule Change Form. Upload screenshot(s) of your permission(s) to the form. Once we receive your request and all required permissions, we will process it and email you a confirmation.

Course Restrictions

  • You will not automatically be able to add classes flagged PERMISSION or for which you do not meet certain requirements (prerequisites, corequisites, major/minor declared, class standing).
  • Contact the instructor or the department of the course and request a Course Override Form be submitted on your behalf. The Registrar's Office will process their request and email you a confirmation when you can register. You will then need to register yourself for the course in plus.hope.edu. Make sure you do so before online registration closes.


If you want to take two classes that overlap, either choose a different section, or, you can try to make arrangements with the instructors on how you will work around the conflict. If the instructors agree to work with you on the conflict, first register for all your other classses. Then email dropadd@hope.edu and we'll enter an override for you and email you when you can register. Instructors may also request time conflict overrides for students using the Course Override Form.


If you are repeating one part of a corequisite course (lecture, lab, discussion, etc.) in order to improve your grade, you do not need instructor permission. Email dropadd@hope.edu and we'll enter an override for you and email you when you can register.


Withdrawing from a course is different than dropping a course, and it is different than withdrawing completely from Hope. Withdrawing from a course means you no longer attend the course, but you made the decision after the drop/add deadline.

There are times when withdrawing from a course is an appropriate option. For example, sometimes when you’re doing poorly in a course or not able to keep up with the workload, withdrawing is your best option. This can prevent a low grade from affecting your academic record and can allow you to focus on your other courses.



Withdrawing from a course is different than dropping. When you withdraw, the  course remains on your record with a W grade. This is a non-penalty grade; it does not affect your GPA. Even if you retake the course, the W remains for that semester. One or two W grades are not cause for alarm. However, repeatedly withdrawing from courses may affect graduate school and career opportunities. Talk to your academic advisor and/or potential graduate school.


You do not earn credit for the course from which you withdraw. This may extend the time and cost to finish your degree.


You are still charged for the course from which you withdraw; there is no refund. Your attempted credits for the semester will remain the same, although your earned hours at the end of the semester will be reduced.


Federal regulations require that students make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards the completion of their degree. Withdrawing will affect SAP and possibly jeopardize financial aid in future terms. Students who fall behind in their coursework, fail to achieve minimum GPA standards and/or fail the completion of classes risk losing their eligibility for federal and state financial aid. It may also affect external and Hope College scholarships, grants and/or loans. Talk to Financial Aid about how withdrawing from a course affects your personal financial aid package.

  • Check with your course instructor and/or advisor about alternatives to withdrawing.
  • Visit the Academic Success Center to learn about:
    • Tutoring
    • Academic advising and coaching
    • Supplemental instruction
    • General study skills
    • Study skills tutoring
  • Check with Financial Aid about aid in future terms.
  • If you are an athlete, talk to Athletics about how withdrawing may affect your athletic eligibility.
  1. Get email permission to withdraw from the course from the course instructor and from your advisor.
  2. Fill out the Schedule Change Form. Upload screenshots of your permissions to the form. Once we receive your request and all required permissions, we will process it and email you a confirmation.
  3. Be sure to submit the form and all required permissions by the withdrawal deadline listed on the Academic Calendar.


The grading policy page has more information about changing a course to pass/fail.