Registration and Schedules
Registration takes a lot of planning. Prepare ahead of time by following the steps below.
APPLY FOR ADMISSION
All new students will first need to apply for admission to Hope and pay the deposit before they can register.
If you are a dual-enrolled high school student or other non-degree-seeking student, you need to reapply through Admissions for each semester you wish to attend.
The below process is for continuing degree-seeking students. Incoming first-years, incoming transfers, dual-enrolled and other non-degree seeking students will be contacted separately about registration for their first semester at Hope.
STUDYING OFF CAMPUS?
If you are currently studying off campus, you will receive an email from the Registrar's Office with instructions on how to register for the next semester. You should still follow the steps below to make sure you register for the right courses to stay on track to graduate.
If you have been approved to study on an off-campus program for the next semester, the Registrar’s Office will handle your registration for you. We receive the list of approved students from the program directors.
|REGISTRATION EVENT||dates||how to|
|check your registration time & holds||October 6||Your registration time and any holds you may have will be listed in your plus.hope.edu account.|
|SPRING 2022 SCHEDULE OF COURSES PUBLISHED||October 6, 5 p.m.||The spring 2022 class schedule will be available at 5 p.m. on October 6.|
|pre-registration advising||October 25 – November 5
||Make sure you prepare for your advising meeting ahead of time. Meet with your advisor to obtain your registration PIN. Contact instructors for any course overrides you need.|
|REGISTRATION WEEK||November 8–12||Register for classes. If you need help registering, we encourage you to stop into our office or join the zoom help session.|
|WAIT LIST WEEK||November 15–23||Online registration closes at 7 a.m. on November 15 while wait lists are reviewed; no schedule changes allowed except for students who were unable to register last week, or students accepted to add a course from a wait list. If you put yourself on a wait list, review the wait list timeline.|
|DROP/ADD||November 24 – January 14
Online registration reopens at 8 a.m. on November 24. Most schedule changes can be made in plus.hope.edu during this time.
Online registration closes at 5 p.m. on January 14. After this time, schedule changes can only be made with instructor and advisor permission.
|January 19||Last day to drop/add full semester and first-half fall courses.|
|March 10||Last day to drop/add last-half fall courses|
You will be able to check your registration time in plus.hope.edu. Times will be posted in March for fall registration and October for spring registration.
Readmitting students may register with continuing students once their deposit is paid.
- FIND YOUR REGISTRATION TIME
- Login to plus.hope.edu
- Go to "Registrar and Student Accounts"
- Go to "Registration"
- Go to "Registration Status"
- Select the term you are registering for (not the current term)
The date and time listed under "From" is the earliest time you may register. The "To" time is the last time you may register in your normal registration group (you may still register in the Registrar's Office after your time has passed, or when the drop/add period begins).
You must resolve any holds listed in plus.hope.edu before you can register. If you have a hold, you may not be able to register for classes. To look up holds:
- Login to plus.hope.edu
- Go to "Registrar and Student Accounts"
- Go to "Registration"
- Go to "Registration Status" and select the term for which you will be registering
- If you have no holds, it will say, "You have no holds which prevent registration." If you have holds, it will say so, and you will need to click "View Holds" at the bottom of the page to find out what they are.
Below is a list of offices that manage different types of holds. Contact the appropriate office to talk about resolving the hold. If you have financial holds, and you pay your balance online, you still need to contact Business Services after you pay to ask them to remove the hold.
- OFFICE CONTACTS FOR HOLDS
You’ll need to contact the office listed for the following holds:
- Former Student
- Monthly Payments Past Due
- Social Security Number Not Reported
- Health Hold
- Behavior Hold
- No Major Declared
- Transfer Student Missing Transcript
- Registrar Hold
Planning ahead by completing the steps in the menus below will make for a smoother registration process. Classes fill up quickly, so it is important to have course alternates.
- RUN A DEGREE AUDIT
Check your degree works to see what general education and major/minor requirements you’ve completed and what you still need to complete. If you are planning on a specific major, but haven't yet declared it, run a What If analysis. Be prepared to discuss this with your advisor. This will help you make sure you're on track for graduation.
- CONSIDER SCHEDULE OPTIONS
Create your perfect class schedule with Schedule Planner. This is a scheduling tool available in plus.hope.edu (Registrar and Student Accounts > Registration > Schedule Planner). It allows you to block off times you can't have class, choose the courses you need to take, generate possible schedules and save the CRNs in your Registration Cart for easy registration when your time opens up. Instructions for using the planner are on the last two pages of this PDF.
You may want to make a note of alternate courses, in case your first choice ones fill up.
You can also check the class schedule to see what is being offered.
If you are a first-year student, here are some course suggestions for your second semester based on your intended major.
If you prefer to plan out your schedule on paper, here is a handy schedule planner PDF.
If you plan to take an applied music lesson, please complete the applied lesson request form located on the music department website.
Although the class schedule is published on a yearly basis, registration is done on a semesterly basis.
- PRE-REGISTRATION ADVISING
Schedule a time to meet with your advisor during pre-registration advising. During this time, your advisor will help you plan your schedule for next semester and give you your registration PIN.
- Plan on discussing your degree audit and your Schedule Planner with your advisor, and talk about course options. Bring any questions you may have.
- Collect your PIN from your advisor.
- Some courses have restrictions as indicated on the class schedule and Catalog. If you have not fulfilled the requirements but still want to take the course, talk to the instructor about completing a Course Override Form for you.
If you have not yet declared a major or are thinking about switching majors, some departments offer pre-registration group advising sessions.
If you have recently completed a major declaration form that has not yet been processed by the Registrar's Office, but you have already been assigned a registration time, your previous advisor will have your PIN. You should still meet with your new advisor, but you will need to retrieve your PIN from your previous one.
If you know you cannot register during registration week (due to holds, etc.), you still must meet with your advisor to make sure you are choosing the right courses to stay on track for graduation and to receive your PIN. Once you resolve your hold, you will be able to register using your PIN.
Even if you know which classes you want to take and are completely prepared for registration, you still need to meet with your advisor so that you can get your registration PIN.
- REGISTRATION PINS
A registration PIN is used to access the "Register for Classes" section in plus.hope.edu when your registration time opens up. This PIN is different than the PIN you use to log in. You will receive your registration PIN from your advisor when you meet during pre-registration advising.
- RESTRICTIONS (OVERRIDE PERMISSIONS)
PREREQUISITES, COREQUISITES, MAJOR/MINOR NOT DECLARED, CLASS STANDING
Restricted courses are coureses that have requirements that need to be fulfilled before you can register for the class. If you have not met a requirement, you will receive an error message when you try to add the class to your schedule.
If you want to take a class without having met these requirements, you must contact the instructor of the course and request they complete the Course Override Form on your behalf. Once the Registrar's Office has processed the request, you will receive notification that you may register for the class. If the class is full, add yourself to the wait list. The override is only valid for restrictions, not for going over the seat limit.
If you’re taking a prerequisite at another college during the summer, you still need an override before you can register for the advanced course. You are responsible for making sure your official transcript from the other college is sent to Hope as soon as your grade is posted, so that the credit can be added to your record. If you do not send your final graded transcript, you may be dropped from the advanced course.
PERMISSION ONLY COURSES
Some courses on the class schedule are listed as “PERMISSION” with a description reading, “Written permission of instructor/department required.” Contact the person listed to have them complete a Course Override Form on your behalf. Once the Registrar's Office has receive the request from the instructor, we will process it and you will receive email notification that you may register for the class.
VIEWING YOUR OVERRIDES IN PLUS.HOPE.EDU
If an override has been submitted for you and processed by our office, you will be able to view it in plus.hope.edu by going to Registrar and Student Accounts > Registration > Registration Status. The type of override and the course/CRN will be listed.
REGISTERING FOR MORE THAN 18 CREDITS
You will need to meet with the Registrar for permission. Email our office to set up an appointment.
If you are a currently-enrolled, degree-seeking student, when and how you register is based on your earned credits. This does not include classes you are currently taking. The more earned credits you have, the sooner you register.
For spring class registration, there are two registration groups: online and guided online. Your registration group will depend on your earned credits and student status. First-year students and students with less than 20 earned credits register at guided online registration. All other students register online at their time in plus.hope.edu.
You will receive an email about a month prior to registration with details about your registration group. Details are also listed below.
For fall class registration, all current, degree-seeking students register online.
If you can't register during registration week due to holds, etc., you can still register later, using the registration PIN you receive from your advisor.
Readmit students who have paid a deposit prior to registration week will register at the same time as continuing students.
You may find the online registration and schedule changes instructions helpful.
Your registration time is when you can start registering for classes in plus.hope.edu. You may register any time after your time, however, you should still register for 12–16 credits by the end of registration week to ensure your full time status and accurate billing. Registration will be temporarily frozen during wait list weeks but will open again at 8 a.m. on the first day of the drop/add period.
If an instructor completed a Course Override Form for you, and you received a confirmation email from the Registrar's Office, you are responsible for registering yourself for the class while online registration is still open.
We recognize that this is the first time some of you are registering online. Or, maybe this is not your first semester, but you encounter an issue you've never seen before. We highly recommend that you ask us for help as soon as/if you have trouble registering. You can stop into our office or call during business hours. Later in the week, we will have staff available on a zoom call to assist you. We will email you more details about the zoom.
- REGISTRATION ADD ERRORS
Below are common errors you might see when registering online. Let the Registrar's Office know if you need help troubleshooting any issues.
You may register during the following times
- You have tried to register too early for classes. Check your registration time on plus.hope.edu.
No Registration Time Ticket
- Make sure you selected the correct registration term. Log out, log back in and select the term you want to register for, not the current term.
- If you applied to graduate, you will not have a time ticket assigned for terms beyond your graduation date. Contact Liz Steenwyk to change your graduation date.
Closed - 000 WAITLISTED
- This class is full and you have the option to add yourself to the wait list. Read the wait list procedures to ensure that you correctly place yourself on the wait list.
Time Conflict with CRN XXXXX
- There is a time conflict with the listed class. Choose a different section or course. If you wish to override the conflict, first register for all other courses online, then make an arrangement with the instructors on how you will work around the conflict. Email the Registrar's Office and we'll enter an override for you, or, stop into the office so we can override the time conflict for you. Instructors may also request time conflict overrides for students using the Course Override.
Linked Course Required
- You probably forgot to add the required discussion and/or lab section of the class. Check the class schedule for linked course requirements and add all CRNs to the boxes required before clicking “Submit Changes.”
- If you are adding all required CRNs, but still getting the error, one or more sections most likely have a wait list. Contact the Registrar's Office so that staff can override this for you.
Prerequisite not met
- You have not met the prerequisite requirement(s) outlined in the class schedule and Catalog. You will need to choose a different course or contact the instructor about a Course Override.
- You need permission from the instructor of the class before you can register for it. Contact the instructor about a Course Override.
- There is a corresponding course that you need to register for as well, as outlined in the class schedule and Catalog. You need to add all CRNs for corequisites at the same time and then click “Submit Changes.” If you wish to only take one of the courses, contact the instructor about a Course Override. This includes repeating only one section to improve your grade.
Field of study restriction
- You must be the declared major as outlined for that course in the class schedule and Catalog. If you need to declare your major, you can complete a major declaration form and email it to the academic department for processing. Otherwise, contact the instructor about a Course Override.
Class Standing (FR, SO, JR, SR) Restriction
- You do not have the right number of credits to register for this course. You need to choose a different course or contact the instructor about a Course Override.
During registration, courses may close, but you can add yourself to the wait list. After registration week, the wait lists are reviewed by the departments, and the departments determine who may add the class from the wait list. This is not the last time you may add a wait listed course – it is just when departments review course demand and make adjustments as needed.
During wait list weeks, online registration will be closed and no schedule changes can be made. This is to maintain the integrity of the wait list.
After wait list weeks, wait lists will remain active until the end of drop/add. Departments and instructors are encouraged to look at the wait list before giving anyone permission to add the course. However, ultimately it is up to the department/instructor to decide who gets added to a course with a wait list.
If you no longer wish to register for a class you wait listed for, please remove yourself from the wait list in plus.hope.edu. This gives instructors the most accurate representation of students interested in their class.
- ADDING YOURSELF TO A WAIT LIST
In plus.hope.edu, you can add your name to a wait list for any closed class. Follow these steps to make sure you correctly add yourself to the wait list.
- In the main registration screen, after you have entered the CRN, you will get a "Closed - Waitlisted" error.
- Select the drop down arrow next to the course and select "Wait List."
- If it says "000" it means there are no students currently on the wait list. If it says "001" it means there is one student currently on the wait list, so you will be second on the wait list once you click "Submit Changes."
- Be sure to "Submit Changes." If you do not, you will not be added to the wait list.
To make sure you are on the wait list, go back to the main registration screen. Classes for which you are on the wait list are marked "Wait Listed."
- WAIT LIST TIMELINE
During wait list week, online registration will be closed and no schedule changes can be made. This is to maintain the integrity of the wait lists.
Departments review their wait lists.
NOVEMBER 18, 5 P.M.
If you placed yourself on a wait list, you will receive an email from the Registrar's Office about the status of your wait listed course(s). The email will have detailed instructions on how to proceed.
NOVEMBER 22, 8 A.M.
If you received an email from the Registrar's Office that you were given permission to add a wait listed course, you must complete the Wait List Approved google form in the email. You can also indicate on the form if you want to drop any alternate classes. If you do not fill out the form, you will remain on the wait list.
The Wait List Approved form will close at 8 a.m. on Monday, November 22. Registrar's Office staff will make schedule changes for the students who completed the form. We will email these students a confirmation when the process is complete, no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, November 23.
Online registration reopens at 8 a.m. on November 24, and wait lists remain active. Only students who still wish to get into the class should stay on the wait list, so if you change your mind, please remove yourself from the wait list in plus.hope.edu.
If you weren't approved to add during wait list week or you didn't fill out the Wait List Approved form to accept your spot, you will remain on the wait list. Both you and the department can see this in plus.hope.edu. If a spot opens up in a class that you are wait listed for, you and the department will not be notified, even if you are first on the list. However, no one will be able to register themselves for that spot online. The only way to register for that spot is to receive permission directly from the instructor of the course and bring it to the Registrar's Office. The wait lists are for informational use only and you are encouraged to watch the status of your class and contact the instructor for permission to add.
- WAIT LIST RECOMMENDATIONS
Hope does not use automatic adding from wait lists. If a course has a wait list and a seat opens up, the only way anyone can be added to the course is by gaining instructor or department permission. Each department and instructor handles their wait lists independently, so it is difficult for our office to accurately advise the likelihood of acceptance. Departments do try very hard to accommodate students who need a specific course within a specific timeframe.
If you are on a wait list, we highly recommend that you register for an alternate class — one you should have selected when planning for registration. If you cannot get in from the wait list and need assistance finding another class, seek help from your advisor.
To be considered a full-time student you must be registered for at least 12 credits. Most students take 14–16 credits each semester in order to graduate in four years.