Baker Scholar Application
The George F. Baker Scholars Program emphasizes academic excellence, quality of character, responsibility and motivation to lead.
Baker Scholars are upper-level students majoring in economics, business or accounting and are selected through a rigorous application process consisting of both written and interview elements.
Information Session: Thursday, March 8, 11 a.m., VZN 151
Application Due Date: Tuesday, March 27, 11 a.m.
Please see complete application information below.
- Application Requirements
- To be considered for selection to the Baker Scholars Program, you must be:
- A Hope College sophomore with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher for your first three semesters.
- A declared major in management, accounting or economics.
- Dedicated to pursuing a career in business.
- Willing and able to actively participate in the Baker Scholars Program for the next
two years (planned participation in an off-campus semester will not disqualify students for
consideration providing the director knows about it during the application process).
Applications for the Baker Scholar Program are posted mid-February with selection day generally being mid-April.
- 2018 Baker Scholar Application
- Baker Scholar Selections interviews will take place on Thursday, April 12, and Friday,
April 13, 2018. A panel of business professionals interviews candidates to evaluate each candidate's leadership
potential and commitment to the program and then selects the candidates. The application
and selection process is rigorous, but helpful in preparing for future job interviews.
Business attire (suits) is expected. You will be emailed an interview schedule about one week before selection day.
You must be available for:
1) Thursday, April 12
Meet and Greet – 11 a.m., Maas Auditorium
Lunch – 12 p.m., Maas Auditorium with selectors, current Baker Scholars, department faculty
Interviews – 1–4 p.m. in Van Zoeren.
2) Friday, April 13
Interviews – Friday, April 13, 7:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
By the end of day, all notifications are completed by faculty who will call each candidate.
To apply for the Baker Scholar Program:
Complete the online application.
Submit answers to short answer essays which will be emailed to you. Send your completed Word doc via email to the Department of Economics and Business office manager, Doreen Tank, email@example.com.
Send your full resume including your academic performance, education, employment history, leadership skills, honors and awards, college activities, etc. to Doreen Tank, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your current class schedule to Doreen Tank, email@example.com. All efforts will be made to avoid scheduling interviews during your class times, but there may be a need for you to make arrangements with professors for alternative class times.
If you have questions about the Baker Scholars or the application process, feel free to contact any of these individuals:
- Baker Scholars President Adam Rolain, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Baker Scholars Vice President Gwyneth Wortz, email@example.com
- Baker Scholars Faculty Advisor Steve VanderVeen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Important Application Dates
- Application Due Date: Tuesday, March 27, 11 a.m.
- Candidate Interview Days: Thursday, April 12 and Friday, April 13, Department of Economics and Business, Van Zoeren Hall
Van Zoeren Hall41 Graves PlaceHolland, MI 49423