Baker Scholar Application
The George F. Baker Scholars Program emphasizes academic excellence, quality of character, responsibility, and motivation to lead.
The Baker Scholars Program develops the leadership potiential of a select group of Hope College students who plan to pursue a career in business. The Department of Economics and Business is pleased that you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity. Becoming a Baker Scholar requires a two-year commitment to the program. As a small group, the success of the program is dependent on the input of each member. The selectors are looking for individuals who are willing to make the program a priority and are able to take full advantage of the unique opportunities it provides.
Application Due Date: Wednesday, April 5, 11 a.m.
- Information About the Program
To develop our leadership potential through meaningful conversation with professionals and practitioners, experiences including trips to centers of commerce, and a commitment to continuous learning.
Baker Scholars are a high-achieving group of students who plan a business career. Students interact and learn from distinguished business professionals and leaders, and pursue professional and cultural learning through experiences beyond the classroom.
To provide professional activities that enrich and enhance students' education in business. Student-led activities include professional visits and trips, invited speakers to campus, service to the college and the community, and social activities. Working with faculty advisors, each Baker Scholar has a role within the program to accomplish these objectives.
- Application Requirements
To be considered for selection to the Baker Scholars Program, you must be:
- A Hope College sophomore with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher for your first three semesters
- A declared major in management, accounting, or economics
- Dedicated to pursuing a career in business
- Willing and able to actively participate in the Baker Scholars Program for the next two years (planned participation in an off-campus semester will not disqualify you for consideration, but it is helpful for the selectors to know if this is in your plans since it may affect the number of students selected)
- 2017 Baker Scholar Application
Baker Scholar Selection Day is Friday, April 21, 2017
You must be available for on-campus interviews that day. A panel of business professionals interviews candidates to evaluate each candidate's leadership potential and commitment to the program and then selects the candidates. The application and selection process is rigorous, but helpful in preparing for future job interviews.
To apply for the Baker Scholar Program:
- Complete the online application.
- Submit answers to questions on Parts A and B which will be emailed to you on March 1. Send attached Word doc via email to the Department of Economics and Business office manager, Doreen Tank, email@example.com.
- Send your full resume describing your education, employment history, leadership skills, honors and awards, college activities, etc. to Doreen Tank, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order an official college transcript (https://iwantmytranscript.com/hope) and have it sent directly to Doreen Tank, email@example.com. You should do this immediately so your transcript can be processed to arrive in time for the April 5 due date.
- Submit a photo to be used for your application profile to Doreen Tank, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about the Baker Scholars or the application process, feel free to contact any of these individuals:
- Important Application Dates
- Application Due Date: Wednesday, April 5, 11 a.m.
- Candidate Selection Day: Friday, April 21, Dept. of Economics and Business, Van Zoeren Hall
- Baker Scholar Induction Dinner (required): Sunday, April 23, 5 p.m., Martha Miller Rotunda
- Selection Day Process
Friday, April 21, 2017
- 7:15 a.m.: Breakfast with selectors, faculty, and current Baker Scholars, Herrick Room in DeWitt
- 8:30 a.m.–3 p.m.: Interviews in Van Zoeren Hall, Department of Economics and Business
These interviews will resemble employment interviews; they will give applicants an opportunity to interact with the selectors. Business attire (suits) is expected. You will be emailed an interview schedule about one week before selection day.
- End of day on April 21: All notifications are completed by department faculty who will call each candidate.