/ Residential Life and Housing

Housing & Room Change

Maybe you studied in Australia fall semester. Maybe it's just not working out with your roommate. Maybe you're saying goodbye to Hope College. Whatever the reason, here's how to request a housing or room change.

Navigating roommate conflicts

Roommate conflicts are a natural part of learning how to live with someone and sharing space. When conflicts happen, we first want the roommates to try and resolve the conflict on their own. If this is unable to happen, residents can get Residential Life staff involved to help mediate the disagreement.

The things that Residential Life considers when addressing conflict are outlined below. If you are having problems, try these steps first, or get in touch with your RA to help work through the conflict.  

Refer to your Roommate and Community Agreements
Setting clear expectations of how roommates communicate with each other, respect personal belongings and use physical space is critical to preventing roommate conflicts. To help foster setting these expectations, all roommates fill out a roommate agreement at the beginning of the year. Your RA reviewed this with you and Residential Life has it on file. Look back at this agreement. Is the cause of this conflict addressed in these agreements? Do you need to add something to this agreement? Do you need to refine the agreement now that you've been living with each other for a while?
Talk to each other
Communication is key in any conflict. Most conflicts result from not communicating enough or clearly with each other. This means that you should have an honest face-to-face conversation (not via electronic communication). If/when you talk to your RA or RD/RLC about this, one of the first questions that they will likely ask is whether or not you and your roommate have talked about this. If you have, we'll go from there. If you haven't, we will talk about how to prepare or be involved in that initial conversation.
Talk to your RA
RAs are a great resource if you are find yourself in this situation. They can help you talk through a plan for communicating so you feel prepared to have a conversation with your roommate(s). Or, your RA will sit down with everything involved to facilitate a conversation covering what the issues are, how to compromise and how to live well together moving forward.
Talk to your RD/RLC
If you and your roommate are still having issues after meeting with your RA, reach out to your RLC, RD or NC and ask for assistance in mediating the conflict. Recognize, however, that it may be a couple of days before you can schedule a meeting with this person. 
Change rooms (if necessary)
Our goal is that through this process, we can work through the conflicts and learn to respect each other on a deeper level by accommodating for each member involved in the conflict. However, if through this process we still are not able to work through the conflicts, then your RD/RLC can help you find a different rooming situation that is (hopefully) better for everyone involved.

Housing Change

As the housing office navigates the complexities of student housing, there are times when shifts or changes occur due to a variety of circumstances. If you experience a change in your roommate, plan to attend a study abroad program, are graduating or are returning from a study abroad program, the information below can help you understand the process.


If you are housed in a double or triple room and learn that your roommate is leaving Hope or moving to different housing, here is what you can expect:

You will receive an email message from the housing office indicating that a change has occurred. You will be offered an opportunity to name a new roommate. We provide the student 72 hours (not including weekends) to name a new roommate.  If they are able to identify a roommate the person they are pulling into the space will also need to email housing@hope.edu to confirm that they are interested in moving. If all parties agree, the housing office will communicate move-to instructions and notify the RA, RD or RLC of the change.

If you are unable to name a roommate, the housing office will look at filling the space. As our office works with students requesting or needing a housing change, we would look at all available spaces, compare housing applications for a compatible match, and reach out to the students to provide them an opportunity to meet prior to finalizing the housing placement.  

Should a change occur during the summer months, you will be given an opportunity to name a new roommate, typically 3–4 business days. If you are unable to, our office will work to fill the space by comparing housing aplications for a compatible match prior to finalizing a placement. You will be notified once a roommate is placed with you.

Per the Housing Agreement, you agree to accept a roommate placement. If a roommate placement does not happen immediately, you agree to maintain the room in a manner that would allow for a roommate placement at any time.

The college does not offer an option for students to “buy out” a space in their room to reduce the occupancy or to keep the room to themselves. Occupancy of a room may only be decreased if the student in the room has an approved accommodation through the Disability and Accessibility Resources office for a reduced number of roommates or a single-room accommodation.


Are you planning to graduate in December or to attend a spring study abroad program? If so, you will report this information through your Hope Housing Portal.  

Please watch for more information to be available about this process in November 2023.

Questions can be emailed to housing@hope.edu


If you are currently on a fall off-campus study abroad program and are planning to return to on-campus classes and need housing for spring semester, you will complete a housing request through your Hope Housing Portal.

Please watch for more information to be available about this process in November 2023.

Questions can be emailed to housing@hope.edu